Chopping the bumper

M

MORRISMINOR GTI-R

what is the best way to cut a hole out for a front mount, should i use a jigsaw :? :oops:
When i looked behind the bumper i noticed theres a support beam behind there does this have to be butchered with an angle grinder?

Cheers

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
If you're fitting a Forge front mount at least, you need to cut the support beam I tried a cutting disc with the angle grinder for this, but found a grinding disc did the job easier :? . I used a jigsaw on my bumper, it was pretty easy to do, just try and keep the cut straight. :wink:

M

MORRISMINOR GTI-R

its actually a pace front mount which im going to attempt to place right at the front.

Just outta interest does the paint not flake at all when cutting through it ?
How easy is it to take the bumper off? i take it u mean unclip the bumper cover from the beam then cut the beam :? but then where would you mount the bumper back up to?

Cheers

E

Edd

there are two scres one o n each wing right by edge of bumper holding it on, then the bumper is held on by clips all round the front, you just have to yank the bumper off really hard and usually break the clips :lol:

when you cut the front part you lose couple of clips neway due to hole.
I used jigsaw then a hotknife to cut mine and paint didnt flake at all.

not sure on crossmember though

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
The paint didn't flake, but I'd touch it up where you cut it to stop the rust.

Obviously my bumper doesn't have those clips at the front now, but it seems secure enough. :)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Where's the edit button gone???

The paint didn't flake on my bumper.
Touch up the reinforcing bar to stop the rust setting in.

M

MORRISMINOR GTI-R

thanks guys.

Edd- did u cut your bumper out when u had the pace intercooler on? if so what did it look like?

G

GTiRsalter

my intercooler is very similar to the pace one, i was gonna mount it right at the front but the inlet & outlet pipes would foul behind the front lights

ian

M

MORRISMINOR GTI-R

that looks just like my pace intercooler as its in the same position 8)

gotta say it looks pretty good there