cheep coilovers

J

jaxon_b

help i need a set of cheep secondhand coilovers it feels like driving a boat on 17's!
i dont mind changing seals/ bushes and what not

any one got anyhting let me know

many thanks

youngsyp

Unfortunately, there's no such thing, at least if you want them to last, and be functional.

Second hand ones could be a big problem too as they'll most likely be old so, require a rebuild. Finding someone to do that (unless they're Tein's) is the first issue, then at around £100 a corner to rebuild, you'll end up paying more than you would if you'd have bought a new set.

Personally, I'd recomment Tein for two reasons:
1, the spring rates are great for a road car and they'll be plenty of adjustability for you.
2, You can get them serviced in the UK, in Milton Keynes to be precise. That will also help if you have warranty issues.

If you can't afford them now, save up for them. It'll be worth it.

If you want to go a bit cheaper, I have D2's with softer than specced springs. I like them a lot but, I'm always worried about issues with them.

Paul

davey red.r

tbh,get gabs theres nothing better for road use,having had 2 rs with coilovers on,they are to much overkill for road use:doh:
mine is sitting on seventeens, and it handles like a go cart, and is comfortable for every day use,they have 8/4 settings for you to play around with, me personally ,have mine set at 4/2mind i did have all the toe alligment camber tracking done just last week,forget coilovers unless its track use only.

davey;-)

gunmetalgtir

youngsyp said:
Unfortunately, there's no such thing, at least if you want them to last, and be functional.

Second hand ones could be a big problem too as they'll most likely be old so, require a rebuild. Finding someone to do that (unless they're Tein's) is the first issue, then at around £100 a corner to rebuild, you'll end up paying more than you would if you'd have bought a new set.

Personally, I'd recomment Tein for two reasons:
1, the spring rates are great for a road car and they'll be plenty of adjustability for you.
2, You can get them serviced in the UK, in Milton Keynes to be precise. That will also help if you have warranty issues.

If you can't afford them now, save up for them. It'll be worth it.

If you want to go a bit cheaper, I have D2's with softer than specced springs. I like them a lot but, I'm always worried about issues with them.

Paul
What issues is there with the D2's Paul?

Have to agree with what you say though, I had Tein super streets with top mounts on my old R and the handling was amazing!

No complaints with the ride either, didn't have them set that hard and it wasn't too harsh on the bumps.

Far superior to any other coilover availble for a road going R IMO.

youngsyp

gunmetalgtir said:
What issues is there with the D2's Paul?
Absolutely no issues whatsoever bud. They work like a charm, are fairly easy to set up and weigh around half as much as the stock spring and damper set up did. Plus you can get a pair of springs for them for aroun £40, should you feel the need to change the ride firmness.
If it was easy to get them serviced in this country, I'd recommend them to everyone !

Paul

youngsyp

davey red.r said:
tbh,get gabs theres nothing better for road use,having had 2 rs with coilovers on,they are to much overkill for road use:doh:
mine is sitting on seventeens, and it handles like a go cart, and is comfortable for every day use,they have 8/4 settings for you to play around with, me personally ,have mine set at 4/2mind i did have all the toe alligment camber tracking done just last week,forget coilovers unless its track use only.

davey;-)
The only problem with that mate is that you can't buy the Gab dampers new anymore. So, he'll end up with a used set that will probably have a large number of miles on them.

I was going to go for a set of Koni inserts and dampers when I was looking to change, simply because the Gab's weren't available new.

For the price of the Koni's and new springs though, I got my D2's and change. And I wouldn't have been able to do what I can with the D2's, with the Koni's.

I can easily see how you'd be happy with the Gab set up though. It does seem ideal for the road.

Paul

gunmetalgtir

Cool, cheers for the input Paul!

What's the RRP of the D2's? I know it's less than the Apex ones for the same product though! :lol:

youngsyp

gunmetalgtir said:
What's the RRP of the D2's? I know it's less than the Apex ones for the same product though! :lol:
I couldn't tell you mate but, mine were around £530 from memory.

I've seen them floating around for around £550 recently though. I'd be weary of buying D2's now though as I think Impulse, the main UK distributor has folded ?!

Personally, if I was to do it again, I'd spend the (little)bit extra and go for the Apex ones. Just because you can get the serviced here and sort any warranty issues out too.
Plus, the new Apex ones should be better quality than the old K-Sports.

Paul

davey red.r

good point paul,but i bet the gabs will outlast his ownership of his r,hotsnot had his on 11yr8) mine are a few year old now, but in great nick, internaly ,and externaly,where as cheap coilovers,probably wont last him the lifetime of his r ownership.

davey

youngsyp

gunmetalgtir said:
I thought that Apex, K-Sport, D2, G-Force, etc were all made in the same factory? Correct me if I'm wrong!!
The K-Sports (what Apex used to sell for the Pulsar), D2's and G-Force kits are made in the same factory, yes. The new Apex kits are made in a different factory though.... the same one as the Apexi coilovers iirc.

Paul

youngsyp

davey red.r said:
good point paul,but i bet the gabs will outlast his ownership of his r,hotsnot had his on 11yr8) mine are a few year old now, but in great nick, internaly ,and externaly,where as cheap coilovers,probably wont last him the lifetime of his r ownership.

davey
:lol: You could well be right mate !

Paul

J

jaxon_b

chears lads unless i can get a realy cheep pair its guna be time to save!