Changing speed sensor

P

P1555ED

HI

Has anyone ever done this themselves?

Is there a way of getting to it other than dropping engine?

Nissan wanted £300 to do it :shock:

Cheers

GINGA

Yeh move the exhaust downpipe and oil filter, remove the Y shaped bracket at the back of the engine that supports the inlet manifold you might also have to remove the rear engine stabiliser mount on the gearbox to to get at it :wink: biggish job and a pain in the ass to do :(

P

P1555ED

Cheers

I'll give that a go then! But by the sounds of it gonna have to get someone else to do it :(

Save me the stress.

P

P1555ED

Speed sensor URGENT HELP!!

I've removed the bolt that holds the speed sensor in, but the damn thing won't come out!!

Is it just supposed to pull out?

A

Anonymous

Yeah the speed sender has an O-ring seal, and if it hasn't been out for a while its a bitch to remove. When i changed my clutch (i decided to leave the engine in there) i had to remove the throttle bodies so i can get a pair of pliers and attack the speed sender.

Once you do eventually get it out, upon replacing it, place a coat of grease around the seal to help it go in, and to help it come out later down the track.

Keep attacking it mate, eventually it will come out

Gino

P

P1555ED

Thanks for that, just given up after spending 6 hours trying to get it out!! :(

Try again tomorrow, don't fancy taking throttle bodies off tho :shock:

O

Olly

:eek: Piece of piss, take me about 1 minute to remove the VSS once gained access but you WILL need a pair of long nosed mole grips, WD40 or duck oil, twist and shake and there it is. If you were local i'd do it for ya. :D

Don't give up you just need a firm reliable grip on it.

P

P1555ED

Whereabouts are you?

If I can't do it do you want a job? I'm sure you can do it for half the price I've been quoted.

You say "once gained access", I haven't removed anything just trying to get at it without taking bits off!

A

Anonymous

P1555ED said:
Whereabouts are you?

If I can't do it do you want a job? I'm sure you can do it for half the price I've been quoted.

You say "once gained access", I haven't removed anything just trying to get at it without taking bits off!
You might need to take that big Y brackt that supports the plennum at the back of the engine, and if you do get it out, throw it in the bin. It makes things easier like taking the starter motors out, changing speed sensor, etc. I know Nissan spent thousands and thousands of dollars in developing these things, but me and many other members just do without it with no problems

P

P1555ED

Got it out at last!

Removed that stupid Y bracket which helped a lot, before I put it back in on the end of it there is a plastic cog, is it meant to have indentation that looks like it is slightly worn or is it meant to be like that? Will it make any difference?

Cheers

P

P1555ED

Put it all back together, still doesn't work! AAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHH :?

Any ideas why???

A

Anonymous

i know how you feel

:oops:

i my self have encountered the same problem, took 2 days to get the damn thing out, then it didnt work when the new one was put back in, i think my problem is the car hasnt been looked after by a previous owner???

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I take it your speedo isn't working? (like mine :? ) Is it a Pulsar? Take it for a thrash and see it the speed limiter cuts in, mine seems to now, so I think I have a knackered delimiter.

M

MORRISMINOR GTI-R

had this problem too mate. found it to be the muppets who fitted the speed converter ( which on mine was located next to the relay/fusebox thing on the drivers side inner wing) has not even been soldered in ! just wrapped a bit of tape around and left it.
Soldered it back up and bobs your uncle.

U might have to take out your clocks as some cinverters are soldered on the back of the clocks.

I'd be 99% sure its related to this :wink:

P

P1555ED

(fast guy) it is a pulsar.
Where's the delimiter ? I take it you don't mean the kmh converter i've taken that off and it started working but only for a few minutes at a time.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Yes it's a Pulsar, my delimiter is bolted to the back of the instrument pack, at least I assume that's the black thingywotsit stuck on there.
You can get separate delimiters and convertors or combined ones as far as I know.

P

P1555ED

Haven't got that thing connected to it.

Since taking the speed converter off it has started to work for a few minutes at a time, even when going backwards!!