chain link marks

P

pulsarboby

not a problem, but just wondered if anyones actually done this!

when you initially time an engine using the bright links on the chain, thats fine as everything is spot on and you cant possibly go wrong!

what i want to know is......once the engines been run, how many times would you have to turn the engine over by hand to get the bright links to all line up again?
say you had everything on the marks but turned the engine over one revolution by hand, then the marks would be one chain link out of alignment.
so in theory you would have to turn it over by however many links are in the chain, is that right???

i dont use these links to time anyway (time off cams) but im just curious if anyone knows the answer:-D

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Yes, in theory because it all remains constant, you should only have to turn it over by however many links are in the chain to get the bright links to line up again.

P

pulsarboby

so how many links in a chain? anyone know this useless piece of information:lol: :lol:

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
to be exact (I knew I had it written in the manual somewhere :lol: ) there are 124 rollers and 62 links n the chain ;-)

P

pulsarboby

cheers for that!
thats a lot of engine revolutions if people want to time there engine up using that method lol, and thats assuming the chain has been fitted correctly to the crank pulley in the first place

jjs

hi ive set them up, with the carnk at TDC, no1 cyl, the location pin on the exhaust cam at 12 oclock, and count back 20 pins from dot mark on the exhaust, cam to the dot mark on the inlet cam, seems to work ok ,any comments.

P

pulsarboby

jjs said:
hi ive set them up, with the carnk at TDC, no1 cyl, the location pin on the exhaust cam at 12 oclock, and count back 20 pins from dot mark on the exhaust, cam to the dot mark on the inlet cam, seems to work ok ,any comments.

yeah that works the same, would equate to 11 links including the 2 on the pointers.
can also be done using feeler blades or a rule across face of head, all 4 holes should line up, as in photo

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
pulsarboby said:
what i want to know is......once the engines been run, how many times would you have to turn the engine over by hand to get the bright links to all line up again?

It should be every 2 revolutions of the crank. 1 revolution would be half way through the 4 stroke cycle, so they shouldn't line up after that.

P

pulsarboby

nope thats definately not the case, every engine revolution puts a bright link one tooth forward. i tried it today out of curiosity, and mr pudney is quite correct!

astarozna

All together 124! 20 between the cams marks, 48 from exhaust to crank mark and from there 56 to inlet cam mark( from autodata)

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
astarozna said:
All together 124! 20 between the cams marks, 48 from exhaust to crank mark and from there 56 to inlet cam mark( from autodata)
theres an echo in here :lol: :lol:

thats what I said

stevepudney said:
to be exact (I knew I had it written in the manual somewhere ) there are 124 rollers and 62 links n the chain
(from the workshop manual)

stumo

I think bobby's original post asked how many times will an engine would need to be turned over for the links that were once aligned to be aligned again, NOT how many links there was in the chain.

dumbass.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
stumo said:
I think bobby's original post asked how many times will an engine would need to be turned over for the links that were once aligned to be aligned again, NOT how many links there was in the chain.

dumbass.
pulsarboby said:
so how many links in a chain? :lol: :lol:

P

pulsarboby

stumo said:

dumbass.
the links in the chain are relevant to how many times engine will need to be turned stuey:-D so i now have my answer!

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
pulsarboby said:
nope thats definately not the case, every engine revolution puts a bright link one tooth forward. i tried it today out of curiosity, and mr pudney is quite correct!
I can't quote steve's deleted post, so I'll quote you instead.

Yes, silly me.(I blame it on the paint fumes from all the decorating I've been doing) . I expected Nissan to make the chain the correct length so that every 2 revolutions of the crank, the marks on the chain, cam and crank sprockets would line up.
Obviously the number of revolutions needed will be the same as the number of links in the chain.