cat temp sensor

A

andy n

i was going to fit a decat this afternoon, its a HKS one with the lug to bolt the OEM sensor into but the sensor is seized into my cat? i'm beginning to mullah the nut getting it off. can you run it without the sensor? provided i blank off the hole.

J

jasegould

Yes.....you can cut the wires if the sensor is seized in. Just tape up the wires or disconnect the wiring under the seat.

A

Anonymous

MAKE SURE YOU TAPE THE WIRES UP WELL!!!! Trim back the outer metal as far as you can. I didn't and the f*cker wouldn't run properly when hot! I went through loads of grief finding the problem, I even borrowed a very kind persons ECU to check that too! :wink:

Dunc

A

andy n

my boost drops to 5 on the gauge when my engine has been running for a good while (2hrs m-way) but no fault codes come up could this be anything to do with that sensor? or is that just the ECU being clever and deciding things are too hot even though temp and oil are both fine?

A

andy n

no. havent fitted it yet, just noticed it during a 7hr drive up north on thursday.

A

AJ4

The cat temp sensor isn't linked to the ecu in any way, it only goes to the 'sizzling sausage' lamp on the dash, nothing else. Disconnecting it will have absolutely no effect on the car running, even if one of the wires shorts out the worst that will happen is the light on the dash comes on.

A

Anonymous

I think the CAT sensor is connected to the ECU. If the CAT gets too hot I think the ECU leans off the engine as it thinks unburnt fuel is getting through to the exhaust. Therefore if you don't isolate the wires properly and they touch the ECU thinks you are getting unburnt fuel in the cat.

Cheers,
Dunc

A

AJ4

There is no facility on the ecu for the cat temp sensor, look at the circuit diagram. The cat sensor is purely an on/off switch to power the light in the dashboard.

It is only used as a warning not to park over piles of dry leaves etc when the cat reaches the combustible temp of paper.

I would have thought unburnt fuel would have cooled the cat down, it would heat up if it was lean.

A

Anonymous

Oh, I see! That isn't what I was told but I trust you! Guess I misunderstood what the guy was talking about. :oops:

Dunc

A

andy n

so i'm ok to cut this under the seat and then just pull it through and blank off the hole in my decat with a bolt as long as i dont allow the wire to short on itsself.
thanks for the help with this people.

geetee

yep

cut it off, pull it through into car itself... do what u like.

even short it out if you want the sizzling hotdog sign lit up on ur dash the whole time :)

everyone else does and as Ross says - the cct diagram just shows it connected to the light in the dash.

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

A

AJ4

If I remember correctly, there is a plug/socket under the front of the drivers seat that you can just unplug ( save you having to cut the wire ). Am not near my car at the mo or I'd go and look. It will be under the carpet.