car wont boost.new turbo fitted

J

jamie

HELP....my car wont boost,starts,ticks over and runs ok till u try and boost,it only manages about 1lb then a whistl'in noise comes from under the bonnet,was suspected faulty turbo so i fitted a brand new turbo,to my disgust it still doesnt boost...have also checked all the intake pipes for a hole but cant seem to find anything wrong......
any help would be gratefull..thanks

P

pulsarboby

check wastegate is fully closed by actuator
check all vacuum pipes for leaks or improper plumbing!

J

jamie

yes,actuator was fitted and set up on the new turbo when i bought it,but i did check it before fitting thanks...cant find any leaks in vacuum pipe work,no sure of the "improper fitting" mind you.would it cause a whistling noise if they were fitted wrong?????...
could it be a manifold gasket..?it does tick over and run fine till u boost mind you.......thanks for your help....keep it come'in....

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Why did you change the old turbo, what was wrong? Has that fault been cured?

Whistling noise could be either an air leak somewhere or a fooked turbo.

What happens when you try to boost it? Does it give out black smoke or anything else of note?

Chack all the large bore pipework as something could be loose, but look connected (I had the factory recirc dump valve pipe come off, but it still looked connected)

J

jamie

changed the old turbo because i was told thats what was make'in the noise,{been miss informed to my expence..lol}BRAND NEW GARRETT T28 turbo fitted,still make'in the same noise..not noticed any smoke to be honast,checked all the pipe work cant seem to find any holes.....is there a test you can run...does any one no?

Fazz

Manifold gasket wouldn't cause that problem and would be noticeable on tickover sounding raspy.

Sounds like an intercooler pipe run leak. you'll have to take off all the pipes for checking, can only be the slightest hole. you can disperse into water too to see if any holes not visible to naked eye.

Also, check the actuator - I know you said it was set up right but double check as if the rod isnt tight enough, or the gate is open then it'll cause a lack of boost build up.

Does it rev out withou boosting??? if so I'd lean towards the actuator being the problem.

P

pulsarboby

theres one other possibility that ive just thought of!
and thats a blocked silencer or collapsed cat convertor if you are still running one!!!

as fazz said will car rev to around 7k or does it start holding back after around 4k?

if the latter then i reckon it could be as ive just stated

had this happen a few times on various other cars;-)

J

jamie

thanks guys,turned out to be the phlenim{think thats how u spell it}lol...chamber gasket.it had a crack in it and was only drawing air when under boost.....hens whistleing noise......replaced gasket,car is boosting now.....but seems a little reluctant to pic up its feet {verry hesitant wants to go but something is holding her back}...boosting to 7 lb no problem........any ideas ?????????