car sending smoke signals?

stuarty

Hey folks can anyone help? car has started to put out blueish/white smoke, sounds to me like oil ring is on way out but it only seems to do it in short runs ie 15 mins and it almost engulfs the whole car, when i stop its a tad embarassing at traffic lights. I could drive the car for about an hour or two and i have no problems, a man wearing a mechanics uniform said that it would be becouse in took the cat off and the de-cat pipe is catching oil from the turbo............. :shock: is this normal, surely not. Please help. :roll:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
You find loads of people on here who've taken the cat off and never had the car smoke on them. How can it unless there's an oil leak :?
It could be your turbo, try taking the inlet off and check the shaft for any free play. If that checks out OK, do a compression test.

stuarty

Cheers fast guy :lol: .....now if it is the turbo you know how you can get it traded for a recon one can i get an uprated recon one as replacement and bolt that on to a pretty much standard car or is that just stupid :lol:

J

justin666

If your not bothered about big power later down the line the a turbo technics T28 Hybrid will do the job nicely. Its just a recon T28 with 360 degree thrust barings and will set you back 500 to 600 quid on exchange for your old unit and it bolts straight on :)

http://www.turbotechnics.com

J..

stuarty

Cheers bud :wink: just got my car back from the garage as it was crabbing down the road :shock: said the tracking was miles out just got to look at the turbo and the hub that the steering rack connects to.................somewhere! will probably post when i come round to fixing them :(