car not right

C

caz

Me car feels pretty sh*t at the mo :( U know when U can tell by the sound of it. It's got an unhealthy offbeat noise to it. Feels like its lost about 100bhp. Takes ages to get to the redline. Just doesn't want to go. Oil pressure is fine, temp fine, boost's ok. I've noticed I don't seem to be using as much fuel as I did before. The car felt just as quick as I remember it the first few times I thrashed it. Now I think a corsa could beat me.

I know I need plugs, but the surely this would make the car run lumpy on idle and stuff.

Honustly U drive it at all speeds and U get the feeling its going to break.

Any ideas :? :cry:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Running lean then?????
Fuel regulator duff?
Fuel filter blocked?
A duff cylinder (no spark?)

Are you sure it ain't using much fuel?
Any boost pipes come off? (running rich :? )
Is it running rich? MAF?
Holed a piston? :shock:

J

jasegould

Try some new plugs (possibly leads, cap and rotor?) if they are arcing or causing a misfire they will give the exact symptons that u describe.

C

caz

Try some new plugs (possibly leads, cap and rotor?) if they are arcing or causing a misfire they will give the exact symptons that u describe.
Good coz thats wot I'm trying to get a hold of at the mo. If theres something serious the matter would the car still drive ok.

J

jasegould

If theres something serious the matter would the car still drive ok.
Generally no, but a simple fault with any part of the car, especially the ignition, can cause big problems.

MarkTurbo

Is the problem all the way through the revs :?:

Mine started running crap on a couple of occasions, was really slow between 5000rpm and the redline.

Just needed a new fuel filter :D

C

caz

The difference in engine note is there all the time. But the lack of performance happens at about 3 and a half thou upwards. And it really struggles.

Jst had a new fuel filter when I uprated the pump :roll:

J

jasegould

Oh and the plugs have been in for over a year
What plugs u got? the NGKs, which I think are what alot of people use, are platinum so should last 3 years.

J

jasegould

Have you taken the dizzy cap off and had a look at the rotor and cap?? Only takes 2 mins.

C

caz

silly question, but am I looking for :oops:

For the weekend I got new dizzy cap, new leads and some denso IK24's coming.

A

Anonymous

Sound simular to a problem i had in my old car. It turned out to be crank angle sensor.

Dont always trust ecu codes

W

Willy

You checked the timing. I know it's a long shot, but mine was running like shit last week. Hardly idling, climbing the revs slowly. Thought something was majorly wrong. Just turned out to be timing was way out at 25 degrees!!

C

caz

I'm gonna fit me new plugs, dizzy cap and leads. Then I'm gonna take the car down to see uncle Ian at Hiteq. it needs setting up anyway, so we'll see

C

caz

Cars still crap. Changed the plugs for IK24's. 10mins of sweet driiving, felt so responsive. Then it went crap agian. Old plugs were white as if running lean yet, pipe is black as if running rich. Going to Hiteq next friday but he says he'll have to sort any probs b4 he can set it up. And I've got get home to Newcaslte. Bloody cars :evil: