Car lost power then stalled whilst racing a civic type R

otter

I was playing with a civic R earlier then all of a sudden the car stopped revving and i free wheeled to a halt then the engine just cut off.
The engine turns over but wont fire up.
Got the car back home a thought it might be the fuel pump so i took the fuel pipe off (the one after the filter) to see if there was any pressure.

Turned the ignition on2 the battery but no fuel came through :roll: i then started her to see if the engine had to be turning over for the fuel pump to be working and there was still no fuel!

What do you reckon is the prob? When should be pump be working?

S

seanleed

Best check the fuse first mate, third one up on the right hand side iirc.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I think it should run to pressurise the fuel system before you start the car. So you should have fuel there. Check the fuse and pump relay. Or try giving the pump a direct feed to see if it runs.

geetee

You can usually hear the fuel pump priming as soon as you turn the ignition on all the way (i.e. just before starting). A kind of dull whirring noise for a second or too.

Check your fuses, otherwise the pump itself may have given up. Pull it out of the tank and check it is getting power before replacing it mind - could be dodgy wiring.

Be damn careful not to create any sparks though.... might be safer to hook it up to a spare battery or something away from the car to see if it spins, then plug it back into the loom and put it all back together before turning on the ignition to see if you can hear it spin up....... rather than trying to get a multimeter on exposed wires whilst you've got the lid off the fuel tank... :?

http://www.mummachummas.co.uk/gtir/FUSES.JPG

I presume this diagram refers to the fuse bank inside the car....

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

otter

God im praying it is a fuse and nothing internal :oops:

Luckily Ive an uprated fuel pump already on order so im expecting it anyday now.

Just hope everythings working so i can come and watch totb