Can't stop the thing

Pete Watson

Hi, new member and new owner here.

I am looking to upgrade the Brakes as a starting point for my new car, i have been reading the various remarks and suggestions about Brake Upgrades and am still a bit in the dark.

I have thought about Hi Spec 300mm front kit with Billet 4 pots but which pads would be the best, i was going to use Greenstuff but it sounds like this would be a bad choice. I could use Mintex, Ferodo or Pagid which would be the best to go for?

I was also thinking about fitting Big Disc Kit to the rear but retaining the original calipers, this would be 285mm. Is this a worth while improvment and again which pads would be best.

Lastly i have been reading comments about the Master Cyc, this was something i had thought about before looking in this forum and it seems others have had a few problems in this area. I also own a relatively quick Opel Manta which has Hi Spec 4 Pots up front and a Disc Conversion to the rear, becasue of this i have had to upgrade the Master Cyc, i have opted for a Willwood Cyc with a larger internal Bore.

I would be greatful for any help in any of the Braking areas before i start spending. Hopefully i will have the Brakes sorted in time for the meet at Castle Coombe on May22nd. If not you should be able to find me stuck in the embankment at Quarry...

Cheers Pete

geetee

Most of the caliper kits you see have been designed to have the same fluid displacement as standard - so pedal travel should be the same and the master cylinder should cope....

As for pads - general consensus seems to be that all the EBC stuff is pants..... dunno if there's much between Mintex and Pagid fast road pads.... never heard any feedback at all about Ferodo.

Cheers
GeeTee

S

Sirnixalot

the hi-specs are an excellent choice. as you have noticed the green stuffs arent the choice of the lot. I went for Pagid but Mintex and Ferodo are great choices as well.

I dont think you will need the master cylinder upgrade as when i rode in Memski's car with the Hi-spec billet 4 300mm kit i didnt notice him running out of pedal travel before the brakes bit.

If you do find that you are running out of pedal travel you might want to swap it out for a USDM Nissan Altima master cylinder. The stock GTi-R master cylinder has a 21.875mm (7/8") diameter where as the Altima's is 23.4375mm (15/16").

Pete Watson

Thanks for your replies!

What about the rear set up? Hi Spec offer 2 options for the back 285mm and 300/310 i think, can't remember now, but looking through all the brake comments nobody has mentioned the rears.

Cheers Pete

S

Sirnixalot

i went for the 285mm rear kit. The rear doent do that much braking but i think it the added surface area helps the balance. I could be wrong but i dont think so.

S

Stoned

Great advice here for us n00bs :)

Out of interest does using the 285mm rear kit leave a lot of rusty area on the surface of the rear discs?