Can't shift at high rpm..

L

Little Erve

It never ends does it..

I can't shift gears above about 5500rpm. I have to wait for the RPM's to drop before it goes into gear.

The clutch ain't that old but it is running 1.1bar (think it's a exedy sports organic). There's also a slight grinding noise when taking off slowly in 1st (throw out bearing?)

Maybe it's time for that concentric throw out bearing and a twin plate :(

Anyone got any ideas? please.. :(

L

Little Erve

My mistake :oops: It's a sprung 6 puck cerametalic.

It's 3rd gear which seems to be the problem. Unless you put it in gear in a specific spot it doesn't like slotting in.. and if you are a little too close to 5th it seems to crunch on 3rd :(

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Is it in all gears?
It could possibly be a synchro problem, gear linkage, or maybe engine mounts causing movement in the whole gearbox.

A

Anonymous

You've checked that its disengaging fully ? fluid level maybe ? a mat under the pedal holding it up a little ?

GINGA

It's 3rd gear which seems to be the problem. Unless you put it in gear in a specific spot it doesn't like slotting in.. and if you are a little too close to 5th it seems to crunch on 3rd
Is it only 3rd gear thats the problem :?:
It could be a number of things.
Clutch not releasing fully though not likely if it goes in first reverse ok when stationary.
Low gearbox oil level :?: also try changing the gearbox oil and check for metal parts coming out when you drain it.
The synchro worn so can no longer slow the gears quick enough to let them engage properly
The selector fork 3rd/4th on its way out (commonish problem)
the selector link maybe worn excessively

L

Little Erve

The clutch seems ok normally. I'm going to replace the slave cylinder and the clutch line just for the hell of it.

I might have to check the gearbox oil level. It should be ok.

The synchro's aren't worn, the gearbox builder took it for a drive and changed down gears without matching revs (as apparently this puts a big load on the synchros)

I think there is a spring missing from underneath the car, as it doesn't want to pull itself into the centre when it's in neutral.

I hope I don't have to pull it apart again :cry:

L

Little Erve

Well I had the car off the road for a while, it's back on the road now and this is bugging me again. I haven't had the time nor the money to change the gearbox oil yet :cry:

Fast Guy said:
Is it in all gears?
It could possibly be a synchro problem, gear linkage, or maybe engine mounts causing movement in the whole gearbox.
That's intresting, I did replace the passengers side engine mount with a nissan original and the centre of it did seem a little more centred than the one I took off (do have pics of that).

It does seem to do it in every gear

Which part is the selector link? I've got a understanding of how it all fits together I just don't know what parts are called what :oops:

paz

GINGA said:
The synchro worn so can no longer slow the gears quick enough to let them engage properly
The selector fork 3rd/4th on its way out (commonish problem)
the selector link maybe worn excessively
If any of the above was what was wrong ginga, what would be the solution - is it a rebuild?

paz

Matt Evans

I've got exactly the same problem with mine. When I pull off in 1st there's a slight whirring/scraping sound for about half a second or so. Plus when I try to change up from 2nd to 3rd at high revs, i get a mild sort of crunch. Sometimes I have to hold it for a second before it slips into gear (only from 2nd to 3rd).

I've changed the slave cyl and pipe work, plus had my master cyl serviced. Does anyone know what this problem could be?

I'm thinking its the synchro, but hoping its not.

T

tombola

ive also got the same scraping noise if im slow
bringing the clutch up with the power on boost

no problems shifting gears but after driving for a bit
i get a similar scrape / grind noise when i press clutch pedal
can also feel it through my foot
next