Can you?

N

Ninj-r

When you change the turbo eg from standard t28 to a gt3071r can you actually drive the car or do you have to avoid that and wait to get it all re-mapped etc.

I have an APEXi FC ECU thing and the car is set up for 1.35 bar with fuelling etc.

I ask cos I intend to get the turbo plumbed in and then take it to get set up shortly after. If it will cope with the swop then ok :D but if its gonna go boom :shock: then I will wait and get it put in and set up at the same time.

Cheers

O

Odin

Yes you can drive it matey but not on boost, I did with mine for 6 month's but kept it below 0.5 of a bar and it was fine :wink: .

Just don't be stupid and go boosting it till it's mapped properly :wink: .

rob

N

Ninj-r

500cc (purple) injectors
big MAF thing
cams
1.2mm HG
FMIC
forged pistons
gas flowed head
mongoose
Apexi ecu

in a rush - gotta finish some work before i go home as well as include some info here will give a definate list when i get home but broadly thats what its got

O

Odin

Are you running on them injectors already? if so you will be fine till it's mapped, but don't go boosting :wink: .

If not then keep the standard one's fitted till mapping day :wink: .

rob

N

Ninj-r

vpulsar said:
Are you running on them injectors already? if so you will be fine till it's mapped, but don't go boosting :wink: .

If not then keep the standard one's fitted till mapping day :wink: .

rob
Yes, the car is already running at 1.3 bar (362hp 288lbft) with the above already fitted and mapped.

I was gonna get the turbo and get it put on, then take it somewhere else to be rr'd and set up but was wondering what would happen if I got it fitted and drove it without a re-map taking into account the new turbo.

Dooie Pop Pop

1.4 bar with that turbo is nearly 400bhp. what do 500cc injectors max out at? im running 700' s with mine which are meant to be good up to 450bhp
i wouldn' t drive it around at that boost level.

besides, are you running a one bar actuator in place of the standard one? will that change the ammount of boost you' ll be running.

my dsbc works on a % ratio over stock setting. so with the standard fitting 40% is 1 bar. with a 1bar actuator it would be higher :shock: :lol:

O

Odin

Ninj-r said:
I was gonna get the turbo and get it put on, then take it somewhere else to be rr'd and set up but was wondering what would happen if I got it fitted and drove it without a re-map taking into account the new turbo.

I changed my turbo from a standard unit to a 500bhp rated turbo and drove it around for 6 months with no problem at all, Boost was set to 1.2 bar but you can use your righr foot as boost control matey, theres no need to go above 0.5 bar if you don't wont to.

Like I said fit your turbo and then drive to your remap with out useing more than 0.5 bar and your be fine, The bigger turbo will only lean the fuel out towards the top end and if you don't boot it :idea: no boost :wink: .

I'd work out what size injectors your going to need and if you need new ones take them along as well and fit them at the place thats doing the mapping :wink: .

rob

N

Ninj-r

Thanks for the help guys :D

I will get the turbo then take the car & turbo to to the mappers and get them to fit it and set it up.

Better to be :D than :shock:

Dooie has also been helpful & said I should contact ashills, is he still about as I have not seen a post from him for a while :(

O

Odin

That way your be paying needless labour charges :? , There proberly charge you at least £200 labour to remove the old turbo and fit a new one, Why waste money on something you could do yourself in a few hours.

It's going to cost you £250 to £350 for the mapping so why bung another needless wedge in there direction :? :roll: , Take no notice of dooie he's just an old woman :roll: , How the f*ck can you damage your motor if you use no boost :? :?: .

Like I said before :roll: I ran my engine with the new JGYBB37R rated at over 500bhp on the old map and standard injectors for nearly 6 month's till I found someone to map it properly with no problems what so ever.

So the best thing you can do fella is fit the turbo the week before your due to get it remapped and drive it around for a week with no boosting, Take your new injectors with and jobs a gooden :wink: :D .

And the best bit is the robbing tuners doesn't get to rob you blind for silly labour charges, And you learn something about your motor as well.

rob

N

Ninj-r

Sorry, Dooie said I should speak to ashills about getting him to get me a gt3071r I was wondering if he was still arround.

I am not 100% convinced that I could swap a turbo, but I may give it a go, just for the fun of it. & if i f*ck it up :shock: then gather it all up in a skip & cart it to my mechanic & get him to do it.

Must read up on the 'how to get a perfectly good R & break it' how too guide :D

May wimp out & throw money at someone who can definately do it though :)

O

Odin

If you get your turbo from ash it will be an easy job as it will come already set up for the gti-r fitment i beleave.

Changing turbo's is a pretty easy job really as long as you have the right tools, If not and you'ev never really done anything like this before then maybe you should give it to a man that can :wink: .

You have to very carefull when re fitting the oil bango to the block as it can cross thread :cry: and need helicoiling :cry: , If you want to have a go I'll do you a how to guid if you like.

rob