Can the engine run properly without speed sensor?

Jobi Joba

I am about to buy an extra GTIR engine to swap it into my Primera P11...
Of course I will modify the GTIR harness and will use my std P11 gearbox (which no doubt will rest in peace within 6 months.. :lol: ).
The problem is the P11 gearbox doesn't use the same type of speed sensor than the GTIR does.
So I guess the GTIR ECU won't see any speed signal as I won't be able to use the signal from my std P11 speed sensor.

Is there someone who knows if the GTIR ECU need the speed signal to run the engine properly?

C

chrislloydus

sorry, got to disagree.
Had massive problems with my GTiR which turned out to be the speed sensor wire loose in the ECU loom. Basically it would cut out over 6000rpm and high load. If the ECU loses the speed signal it cuts its losses at a certain point in the map. You could nurse the car over 6000rpm but foot to the floor it cut out all the time. Others have had this probelm as well. Pin 33 or 34 on the ECU loom from memory, green/white wire ?
Fixed the connection and all was well.
Speak to Powerstation or Interpro as theyve both had first hand experience of this (mine was diagnosed at Powerstation).

Cheers

Jobi Joba

krazeguy said:
nissanprimera.net: yep,but u gotta pay to access most information!!!and it seems that all GTIR swap in P11s have been done with the std P11 ECU,not the GTIR one as I wanna do... :(

g20.net:errrrrrrr...possible!!I have forgotten!! lol but I dunno the name of my car in USA...do they have P11 GT?

primeracarclub:are there swapped P11 on this board?

Tony

I`m going to encounter this problem soon i think too!

I`m putting a Gti box on my engine and am wondering if the speed sensor will plug into the plug from my R box????

Or, will the R ECU read a Gti speed sensor?????

Tony....

T

tweenierob

If they are both electronic drive then you can take a signal from either of the sensors, manufacturers tend to use the same frequency or similar which can be fed into the R Ecu.

Rob

cmng

i have no issue on this
i running GTIR on B13 with 50 series 2wd box hydraulic type
complete with GTIR ECU and loom and speedo
reading everything correct

my friend running on B13 as well
with 30 series cable gearbox with GTiR Speedo
the speed reading is not accurate. just like when you at 110kmh
the speedo read 50 only

Jobi Joba

cmng: so u're running a GTIR conversion on ur B13 BUT u're using the GTIR speed sensor?

What 30 series and 50 series stand for?

Is there someone who could tell if the GTI gearbox (with the LSD :twisted: ) uses a mechanical or an electronic sensor?

cmng

yes.. i runing everything GTIR except the GTiR 4WD box only

50 series box .. bigger box
similiar with GTIR 4WD box but 2wd
it is hydraulic as well
can accept 9" clutch diameter and 24 spline diameter clutch
it can fit GTiR clutch also but need to bore a bit at the housing

30 series. so far i think it is cable type
never found a hydraulic type
it is smaller size can only accept 8.5" and 18 spline diameter clutch

Jobi Joba

Ok,I think I have a 30 series because my clutch is depressed with a cable.

As I'm not going to do a racing oriented swap,I wanna have an accurate speed reading on my tacho.A GTIR engined P11 is not supposed to enter 1/4 mile competition,only supposed to kill M3s on open road. 8)

So it seems I will have to keep my P11 speed sensor and run the GTIR engine with the ECU not seeing any speed signal:have u already tried it?Does it work fine?

A

Anonymous

this might be the problem i am having with my gtir engined gti. it goes well at low revs and in low gears, but after third you can only really give it about 10% throttle otherwise it just makes a lot of boost noise and doesnt really go anywhere.

i guess i just thought the plugs on and to the gearbox were for less important things like like reverse lights or maybe a neutral switch or something, so i just left them disconnected.

please keep this post alive cause i really need the info.

cmng

it work..

we using using 30 series box.
plug in back to GTIR speedo. working

plug in back to B13 speedo working

just the reading is not correct only

On P11 it think is should be same issue