can i change det senor myself or get it done by a specailist

A

Anonymous

can any one tell me if the det senor will increase fuel consumption because my pulsar on a full tank only gives about 90 miles it also fells like something is pulling it back its not the handbrake.

can the det sensor be cleaned as i have been driving it around using 95 ron unleaded petrol, would a full service solve the problem oil dirty but plugs are clean

the car is sposed to be running 1.5 bar and ibelieve it mess the whole system up if u use the cheapier petrol.

can anyone help?
can i fit it in myself?
where is the det sensor located?
has anyone got diagrams or instuctions to fit a det sensor in?

will highly appreciate any help.

A

ard1ey

If its been mapped for 1.5 bar and you're using 95 RON petrol it'll be detonating like a b*****d. The det sensor will knock the ignition timing back to 10° and it will feel really slow. Check your fault codes and see if the det sensor has been triggered, and get some proper petrol in the car - at least 97 RON, preferably Optimax - then run a couple of tanks through without using full boost. Once your sure all the low octane shite is out, try it again at full chat and see how it feels.
Det sensor can be changed by yourself, but you won't enjoy it :)

A

Anonymous

might be worth getting it on the rollers if you've been running 95 ron through it. never know whats happened :?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
ard1ey said:
If its been mapped for 1.5 bar and you're using 95 RON petrol it'll be detonating like a b*****d.
Unless it was set up for 95 ron :shock: , but I can't see why anyone would map it for 1.5bar and 95ron fuel as the ignition would need retarding so far that you'd lose loads of power.

Start running on optimax if you can get it and see if things improve. You may be detting, or you may have another problem like a dodgy o2 sensor or maf problem.

Have you tried doing the ecu code check?

pete-r

my sensor is getting done by nissan just now ,at a labour cost of £213 :shock: :shock: :cry: .i had a look at it with someone who knows what there doing and its a bit of a bastard to get to,especially on a driveway with only the clearance of a jack.the car was going in for a service anyway so i had the cash and thought "why not?".

A

Anonymous

little tip for people doing this if you haven`t got arm that can`t bend in 3 directions at the same time, main problem I found when changing the det sensor was engaging the thread onto the block with the det sensor on as you can`t see or `feel` the bolt onto the thread. So armed with the offending bolt place in a lathe and turn down the first 4/5 threads to the root diameter of the thread, this then gives the thread a lead in area (something thats missed of mass prod bolts) and makes it a lot easier to fit back on as the root dia gives a nice lead in to the tapped hole.

A

Anonymous

Yeah, but I do :lol: well not in my hand but trust me when u do it it makes the world of difference the bot is flat at the front and on mine just couldn`t get it started and couldn`t get me hands in, turned the bolt down and hey presto

daz

dont mean to rain on your parade but i think you are all assuming that the car has not got the 'Y' shaped intercooler support bracket on the back as if it has its impossible to change the det sensor without taking the engine out. trust me i have the bruises to prove it. 8)

daz

by the way mayville the det sensor cant be cleaned as its a microphone that tells the ecu how much the engine is 'knocking' thats all it does and when a fault code is generated the ecu is looking for short or open circuit which then puts the ecu in limp home mode ie timing cut to 10 degrees over fuels it and cuts the boost.

daz

the amount of hassle thats there lol may be easier just to take it out anyway 2 hour job to get it out. but thats just my thoughts on it