can anyone help

B

bounty

right what it is...is i can start my r up fine no problems...if i drive her up the road i get loads of smoke...wot my questions are is if one of the rings is gone wouls she smoke all the time even at idle? could this be a blown turbo?
:cry:

Websnowbo

Commpression test first mate, you might even be able to see by taking the plugs out. If one/two are wet with oil you will probably find a piston is fecked.

$

$ven

But what kind of colour is your smoke?(white,blue,black?) Is it also puffing out smoke between gearchanges?

also, before you do a compression test, park the car after the engine has warmed up properly, and leave the engine running(idle!). Then remove the oilcap, and see if any black smoke/oil comes out. And don't keep your head above it, just in case. But if you see lots of smoke while driving I wouldn't drive it anywhere and do the compression test first.

paz

As mentioned by $ven the colour of the smoke is important. White smoke indicates a water leak whilst blue smoke is oil.

Is the car smoking all the time or is it just when changing gear and lifting off the clutch etc?

Paz

B

bounty

ok...i use to be able to drive her fine just potterin around...no smoke when i went into full boost and then changed gear...smoke...now she smokes all the time its quite a bit aswell.. she is aslo dropping oil...could this be the oil seals on the turbo..if so how much oil could get out :cry:

bounty....!!

paz

If its puffing out blue smoke after a gearchange and eating oil it sounds to me like it could be the oil seals.

No idea how much oil it could potentially get through though - depends rather on the severity of the problem.

Paz

$

$ven

could be a lot of different things though.
Things to do:

-As I said before, idle the car with warmed up engine, and take the oil-filler cap of, is it pushing out smoke?

-Try to take of the intercooler hoses and check if there is oil on the inside of them.

-Look at the spark plugs, they should have a coffee-brown colour.

-Do a compression test