cams and reshimming

soin

hi , looking for some advice really , i ve done a search but this has nt answered my question.. my R is about to have its head gasket replaced , i rebuilt the motor 2 years ago and the car has done less than 5000 miles since .. the bottom end was fitted with je forgees and all new bearings etc , but the head just had a reskim .. this time around i thought id renew the cylinder head so ive bought a fully rebuilt head off the modifiers , new valves ,guides , reshimmed etc .. i think it comes with standard cams ...... now the question ..

is it worth me putting uprated cams in the head before i get the builder to do the work? will i see gains etc . , im thinking either hks 264 s or kent mild road

will the head need another reshim if i change the cams bearing in mind its just been shimmed ....

basically is it worth the hassle for cams or should i just keep the standard cams . looking for a mid to late 300 final power output 350 -380 ish

cars got , forgees 87 mm / cometic hg 1.2 mm / turbo technics stage 1 hybrid/ clutch ,fly,filter, walbro ,fpr,front mount , greddy stainless ex etc gonna be getting a maf z32 / 600 cc s etc ..

also 1 other question are boost controllers vehicle specific ? im looking at turbosmart eboost 02 or profec b will any controller fit any car cheers in advance

O

Odin

I'm no cam expert but I made 399.7 bhp on standard cams, So it's pos.

Rob

soin

cheers rob, however would you have made more with a cam change ? whilst i have a head available to modify it seems like the best time to go ahead with a cam change but i aint gonna bother if its more hassle than its worth , im leaning towards staying with standard cams unless someone can put up a good argument for changing them ta mate

youngsyp

soin said:
cheers rob, however would you have made more with a cam change ?
Yes, he would.
If you look at cams in the simplest way, a higher lift, longer duration cam set, will let more air into the cylinder, and more exhaust gas out. They're designed to make more power over stock cams so, you'd see gains in almost any application.

Also, and more importantly, imho, they'll move the power and torque around the rpm range. Ideally, and again imho, for road work, you'll want the torque to come in sooner and spread further across the rpm range. This of course, depends on how you drive the car. If you like revving it out, this style set up, might not be as desirable !

As for re-shimming, I'd expect you to have to do it for a new set of cams.

Trip

would there be a set of cams which moves power to the lower/mid rpm range rather then moving it at top RPM end ?

youngsyp

Trip said:
would there be a set of cams which moves power to the lower/mid rpm range rather then moving it at top RPM end ?
I'd expect so as, that's what I'd look for in a cam set for my usage ! You'd just need to find out who makes them but, several companies offer custom profiles too !

O

Odin

soin said:

basically is it worth the hassle for cams or should i just keep the standard cams . looking for a mid to late 300 final power output 350 -380 ish

As stated yes I would of made more power with something like the Kent cam's I have now, But you said your power goals where 350-380 bhp which you can achieve easily with standard cams, And with out moving the power band up the rev range ;-) .

Rob