cam timing

catchmeifyoucan01

hi i posted up about my ignition timing being fully advanced on the slots for the timing to be correct! today i checked my cam timing ! and got kind of stuck! ive found the gold link and the 2 sliver links! but my gold link faces inward! so maybe the chain is on the wrong way! i took number 1 spark plug out put on tdc and none of the top to links lined up with the marks on the cams and i cant see the gold link cos i still have the oil pump on! does anybody have any advise or an easy way of checking its correct!! ive done a search for the solution but didnt seem to help much!

gtirjoey

ignore the bright links they are only there for when you fit the chain they only line up every 40 odd or something engine revelutions

If the chain is fitted correctly first time, ie the links been in the correct position.
The engine will turn freely and not lock up.

P

pulsarboby

If the chain is fitted correctly first time, ie the links been in the correct position.
The engine will turn freely and not lock up.
thats not correct davie as you can still be 2 teeth out and it still wont lock the engine with valve to piston contact!

forget any bright links as joe rightly said!
ex sprocket should be just after 12o/c (thats the keyway) with indent as above and the inlet sprocket indent at around 10o/c as above.
basically if you look at all the holes in the two sprockets in a line across the face of the head, if its timed correctly then 4 of the holes should be parallel to the face (you should just see half a hole on either side of a sprocket) if you look directly in line with the head face
the crank pulley mark (2nd from the left tdc)should line up with the pin on timing cover.
that is correct engine timing.
then set timing gun to 20 degrees and adjust ignition timing accordingly.

Last edited by a moderator:

catchmeifyoucan01

thanks boby ive checked that yesterday and it all seemed correct! but when i check the ignition timing i can set it to 20 degrees! but the distrubutor is still not in the center of the slots! dont know if its worth taking the oil pump off and starting from scrach using the coloured links??
and which is the 20 degrees mark on the chank pully the last mark as the engine is running ??

Last edited:
Yeah buddy, mines still has the nissan sticker over the top bolt.
But new engine i will be able to tell ya later when i go to the garage and fire it up :)