Cam timing

Rich@Redline

Afternoon folks,

I'm fitting a new head this week, and as such need to swap over the HKS cams that were in my old head, but I'm not crystal clear on the correct method. I've done various searches on how to do this so please don't shoot me down in flames, but I'm still not totally clear on the procedure and I don't want to destroy my engine - any help would be appreciated!

The engine is on a stand and the oil pump is off, so I've got a clear sight of the crank sprocket. I've located a gold and two silver links in the timing chain. I understand that the two silver links are associated with the marks on the cam sprockets, but whereabouts on the bottom sprocket does the gold link relate to? I can't see a mark or anything on the crank sprocket...

Just so I understand the procedure correctly - piston 1 is at TDC, with the key on the end of the crank at 12 o'clock. Bolt the new head on, put the exhaust cam in with the key facing at 12 o'clock, with one of the silver links next to the mark on the sprocket. Then bolt the inlet cam in with the other silver link next to the mark on the sprocket - the key lobe should be at around 10 o'clock.

Is that all I need to do? Does it matter where the gold link relates to so long as I follow the procedure above?

Cheers in advance for any help!

Rich

P

pulsarboby

you should see a punch mark in sprocket which the bright link will line up with.
as you rightly say the cam marks are around 10o/c inlet and keyway at a smidging pst 12o/c on exhaust.

if you cant see a mark on crank sprocket then just make sure its @tdc on no1 in direction of crank rotation and youll be fine

check ignition timing afterwards and set to 20 degrees, this should place the dizzy in a centralish position on the adjustment slots (if not then somewhere your a tooth out)

Rich@Redline

Thanks mate, I just had another look on the crank sprocket and found the punch mark. It was hidden out of sight underneath!

Cheers for your help :)