cam timing

P

paulrandy

Cam anyone help me, I guess the crank is set to tdc but do the marks on the cam sprockets point towards each other or straight up or away from each other of somewhere else?

Cheers, Paul.

zia

the chain normally has coloured link these will be line up with cam gear mark which normally are straight up.

zia

GINGA

The marks line up with the paint/coloured links on the chain but you may have to turn the engine over 92 times :shock: to get them to line up :cry:
Just been doing this today so by the manual this is the way I did it.
Line the crankshaft pulley upto the tdc mark on it (the second one from the rear) then put the exhaust cam so the woodruff key slot is pointing directly upwards then fit chain over it so its tight between the crank and cam pulley on the front of the engine. then the inlet cam woodruff key slot should be at about 45 degrees before the top and if you've got it right there should be 11 links between the marks on the each pulley(including the ones on the marks) then turn the enigne over until the marks on the chain are closeish to the marks on the pulleys and count the numder of teeth between the marks on the pulleys and the painted/coloured links on the chain the numder of teeth between the marks should be the same on both pulleys

K

KevShek

If you have the engine at TDC, with the chain marks lined up with the sprocket marks, then look at the side of the of the sprockets standing at the chain side, and the key ways should line up as follows. Intake 10 O'Clock, Exhaust 12 O'Clock. This give you a visual indication that everythings cushty. If youve bolted down the sprocket, youll have to look hard past the washer to see which way the key points.