Cam Cover Has Been Sand Blasted

skiddusmarkus

I have a lovely polished cam cover- the ones that have Nissan 16v twin cam embossed on the top.I bought it years ago form Amercia and am getting ready to fit it but its been sand blaste don the inside.I've run the hose through it for 15 mins and got most of the crap out but There's always what I cannot see to worry about.

Do people normally drill out the little rivets and remove the little cover panels to finish off cleaning?Do you leave them off or put them back on with silicon sealant?

Last edited:

ashills

im just doing my evo one mate and there will be loads of crap in there is its been sand blasted
u can either jb weld the plates back on after or alli rivet them on they are a little tricky to get off with out bending so go careful
my first gtir had the rocker cover blasted and there was so much crap inside the baffle plates it nearly cost me my forged engine luckily it was found before the car was run/damaged

Animaldaz

Why on earth would you sand blast the inside of a cam cover??? Tbh there is no need to do it on the outside, nitromorse gets the paint off easily, that's what I did when I polished mine.

ashills

more of a very strong glue, they do a 20 hour and 4 hour dry ive gone with the 20 its a bit stronger comes in two parts that are mixed together and then applied

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
I just chucked one of those away.....I too bought it years ago with thoughts of fitting it........I bought it thinking I'd strip it off and spray it, when it arrived I discovered that the previous owner (twat) had had it sand blasted and then sprayed it without cleaning out the inside. So because the inside of it was fucked that coupled with the fact it has no natural mounting point for the Pulsar SR20DET throttle cable was enough to convince me to launch it towards the council tip.....

Braveheart

Cam cover looks great..... for piece of mind however you'll need to clean out the internal plates. more time and money I'm afraid.
Do you really need the plates? Could you not just remove them, clean and refit without?

saddler

To anybody thinking of sand blasting engine parts.. Don't.. Ask the sand blaster if he can soda blast it.. as this is safe to use.. most blasting companies carry soda..

skiddusmarkus

Yeah I've seen them using baking soda for blasting on the US version of rags to riches.

The stuff inside the cam cover is incredibly fine grey stuff, it is more like dust than sand.There's not loads, but I don't want any.

kirko

i removed the plates and washed all mine out and then carefully riveted them back on with some sealant
between them too it worked fine

ashills

dont take the plates out what ever you do a mate did it on his drag car or it may have been drilled through under the baffle and the oil poured out on heavy cornering and launching