Cam clearences/marks

gtirx2

Ok i have just behine checking my valve clearences and they are all a little on the tight side about 0.015 to 0.020 max cold and about 0.020 to 0.030mm max hot are these clearences to tight or should they be ok?Also on a couple of the cam lobes there were some very light scuff marks on some of them and i can't work out what could of caused this, could it be because the clearences are a bit tighter than they should be or do you think this is something else?The rockers all move freely enuff when you move the cams in position to measure the clearences so surely it could not be because of the clearences are a little too tight:? I don't nessaseraly think its a problem as i have run the car like this for a good few thousand miles with no problems but i am just wondering what could of caused the light scuffing on the cam lobes i supose it could of just behine crap that has gone under them but i just wondered what you guys thought?
Heres a poor pic of the marks if you look close you can just make it out.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m114/gtirx2/pict0004.jpg

nismoboy

off the top of my head your clearences sound about right mate, as for the wear on the cam this is quite a common problem its usually due to the oil spray bar blocked or not quite flowing right, take them both off and cleane them throughly use a pin to clean out the holes then re fit. hope this helps

gtirx2

I did wonder if i was being a bit paranoid but i thought it was still best to ask to see what you guys thought, anyway thanks for the reply:) and i will get out there and have a look at these spray bars.

Also sorry for posting in the wrong section first of all i a such a dumb ass:doh:

P

pulsarboby

agree with nismoboy,regarding spray bar! also use some flushing oil and change oil and filter as you may have crap floating around somewhere!
cant really see how bad scoring on cam is from photo, check the rocker lobes too as these are likely to be scored, if they are to badly scored, you will have a cam knock develop, so till then i wouldnt worry.

if you do ever want to change cams, i have an unmarked set that you can have at a reasonable price!

gtirx2

pulsarboby said:
agree with nismoboy,regarding spray bar! also use some flushing oil and change oil and filter as you may have crap floating around somewhere!
cant really see how bad scoring on cam is from photo, check the rocker lobes too as these are likely to be scored, if they are to badly scored, you will have a cam knock develop, so till then i wouldnt worry.

if you do ever want to change cams, i have an unmarked set that you can have at a reasonable price!
Thanks for the reply:) I have just behine out there and had a look at the spray bars and they were a quite a bit gunked up so i've cleaned them out and blew them out with the air line and they seem much better that was proberbly my problem:thumbsup:
The scuffing ain't that bad but i still may have a look at the rockers just to be sure;-) The only reason i asked is because i too have a couple of spare sets of cams and none of them had any scuffing at all so i thought something might be up,i could always change the cams but then i would have to shim the little buggers up again and i don't want to be doing that.anyway i think them spray bars are my problem so i will have to keep a eye on them in the future and see how i get on:)