buying advice please

D

dannycelluk

Hi im new to the site and thinking about buying a gti-r

can someone please advise me. I have been looking at a sunny GTI-R? (supposedly with 300bhp)

I was under the impression that the Sunny was the UK spec pulsar? is this correct?

If so does it sound dodgy that the Sunny i am considering buying, is an import and needs converting to mph?

A few other things......

i dont really know much about the characteristics of the GTI-R it seems there is no power up to about 3500 then it goes nuts, Then when it gets to about 6000 it seems gutluss. are they all like this? or does it sound like there is summit wrong?

It might just be what im used to, i had an Integra Type-R which rev very high and maybe im not used to the power being lower down the rev range.

The drivers side door pin seems to be broken, so i would have to get another, is this a common fault? would i be able to get one easily?

apart from this, the car is in mint condition it has covered 99000km and has history from 1998 when the car was imported. It also has uprated brakes.

cheers in advance.

Dan

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
dannycelluk said:
1) I was under the impression that the Sunny was the UK spec pulsar? is this correct?

If so does it sound dodgy that the Sunny i am considering buying, is an import and needs converting to mph?

2) there is no power up to about 3500 then it goes nuts, Then when it gets to about 6000 it seems gutluss. are they all like this? or does it sound like there is summit wrong?

3) The drivers side door pin seems to be broken, so i would have to get another, is this a common fault? would i be able to get one easily?
1) Yes and not realy as some later Pulsars came with the Nissan badge not the P. All Jap ones are RNN14 on the chassis plate.

2) Mine's on standard turbo and cams. It seems quick below that, but doesn't realy go nuts, just pulls stronger and all the way to the redline (7500rpm) It does sound like something could be wrong.

3) Hinge wear is common if that's what you mean, but they don't normally break as such. Under £20 from Nissan for the hinge.

Find out what's been done to it for 300bhp. It could even be standard running 1bar, so nearer 270-280.
If you could do a fault code check on it, it might show any faults, but there's plenty of faults that can cause lack of performance that won't show up on it. (afm needing regrounding, air leaks, turbo/manifold bolts coming loose etc )

Braveheart

In responce to antgtir issue regarding "Hesitation between 3k to 4.5k rpm + Fueling issues??" I had a similar problem.
I picked up a GTIR last month and felt it was running a bit funky. It seemed to pick up ok at low revs but stuttered and hesitated badly between 4.5 - 5k rpm. When I layed off the gas the damned thing wanted to go. Not good when you are entering a corner looking for engine breaking. It was also idling high (1100rpm) and just felt a bit unwell.
The car it's self is bulk standard except for a mongoose exhaust (without cat) and sump guard but with a poor service history (jap 18k service). I bought it off a farmer who had owned it for 4 years and done 2k miles in that time. It has 60k on the clock, it was imported in 2002.
Anyway, given the service history and poor performance, I booked it in for the full boona.
Falkland performace changed all the fluids, plugs, point, air filter (now K&N) front disks and pads and rear pads. (disks and pads were well shot.... it was grinding along)
I was full of hope but the car was still running poorly.
It turned out to be the knock sensor (error code 34) This sensor they explained was there to pick up pinking etc and when triggered would retard the ignition timming by 6deg. It's meant to reset it's self but did not and I thing I will source a new sensor.
They reset the ECU and the error was gone. The car is now running fine. Much smoother, pulls all the way through the rev band and thankfully enters engine breaking now when I gas off. I did refrain from taking it out on the track at knock hill last sunday however as I have a sneaky suspition the problem would return plus I did not want to buy another set of brake pads so soon.

Hope this information helps and I may post it in a couple of other places on this web site.

Lang may your lumb reek... all the best Braveheart (Scott)

gtirx2

Braveheart said:
In responce to antgtir issue regarding "Hesitation between 3k to 4.5k rpm + Fueling issues??" I had a similar problem.
I picked up a GTIR last month and felt it was running a bit funky. It seemed to pick up ok at low revs but stuttered and hesitated badly between 4.5 - 5k rpm. When I layed off the gas the damned thing wanted to go. Not good when you are entering a corner looking for engine breaking. It was also idling high (1100rpm) and just felt a bit unwell.
The car it's self is bulk standard except for a mongoose exhaust (without cat) and sump guard but with a poor service history (jap 18k service). I bought it off a farmer who had owned it for 4 years and done 2k miles in that time. It has 60k on the clock, it was imported in 2002.
Anyway, given the service history and poor performance, I booked it in for the full boona.
Falkland performace changed all the fluids, plugs, point, air filter (now K&N) front disks and pads and rear pads. (disks and pads were well shot.... it was grinding along)
I was full of hope but the car was still running poorly.
It turned out to be the knock sensor (error code 34) This sensor they explained was there to pick up pinking etc and when triggered would retard the ignition timming by 6deg. It's meant to reset it's self but did not and I thing I will source a new sensor.
They reset the ECU and the error was gone. The car is now running fine. Much smoother, pulls all the way through the rev band and thankfully enters engine breaking now when I gas off. I did refrain from taking it out on the track at knock hill last sunday however as I have a sneaky suspition the problem would return plus I did not want to buy another set of brake pads so soon.

Hope this information helps and I may post it in a couple of other places on this web site.

Lang may your lumb reek... all the best Braveheart (Scott)
wtf why you keep posting the same post over and over again in different threads:der: :der:
:focus: http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21603&highlight=buyers+guide
i am not sure how uptp date that info is tho.