Bumpsteer Kits

j10gtr

Hi,

Any recommendations on these kits. Are the lifespan of these improved of any now.

Cheers
Paul

youngsyp said:
I contacted the supply I get these from direct, namely www.autosport-bearings.co.uk They have advised me to use GASXW14 x 1.5MS for this application as these are specifically designed for the job.

The MS spec rose joints have a zero tolerance on the fit and are motorsport parts. They cost £30.09 each + vat. The standard boots, RDDS 8, will still work with these.

You will have to call them for these as they are not available on the site, from what I can see.

They did mention a spacer to use, basically to make the boot get a better seal but, i don't think we have the clearances to be able to utilise it !

Cheers

Paul
Edited to add the above quote

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Odin

j10gtr said:
Hi,

Any recommendations on these kits. Are the lifespan of these improved of any now.

Cheers
Paul

The first set of cheap rose joints supplied with the original kit only lasted 3000 miles and failed the mot last week, I've now fitted superior set of stainless rose joints sourced and acquired for me by Steve Pudney 8) ;-) .

Rob

j10gtr

Are the ones by Steve tried and tested then ?

How much did those cost you and are you using rubber boots to protect them.

Cheers
Paul

O

Odin

j10gtr said:
Are the ones by Steve tried and tested then ?

How much did those cost you and are you using rubber boots to protect them.

Cheers
Paul

I've had them sitting in the garage so long now that I can't remember what they cost :oops: , And yes I have rubber boots covering them.

Rob

kirko

they are definitely alot better quality;-) rubber boots can either help keep the crap out or help keep the crap in
you pay for quality as usual:?

azboy

ive got these, not sure weather i should fit them do they really wear out so quick there second hand and dont have boots protecting it

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
I wouldn't bother fitting used ones if I were you.

Like Rob says above the track rod ends supplied as part of the Gordon Kay "bumpsteer kit" a few years ago wear out very quickly, but the ones I sourced and sorted out a group buy on are much much better quality, mine have done 2 years and are still fine.

Mr GTiR

Yep I had one of the Gordon Kay kits and that was ****ed within a year! Also, killed my two front tyres and o/s wheel hub due to excess wear in the track rod ends. I'll post up a picture of the dame to my tyres when I get a chance.

Now got new bearings from ABC along with the rubber boots and they look spot on.

colin_gtir

kirko said:
they are definitely alot better quality;-) rubber boots can either help keep the crap out or help keep the crap in
you pay for quality as usual:?

Kirko id like to know what these are like as i paid you £150 for them over a year ago and you still aint sent them. tbh you are a disgrace to all honest hard working gtir owners. How can you fleece people by having a sticky up in the parts for sale section advertising these then, when people pay for them you just f_ck them around and not even reply to your pms and then, have the front to say how good quality they are. The mods aint much better [ rishi and fastguy] as they know all about this and they still let you post on here. I suppose its not what you know but who you know hey..........

azboy

do they make a much improvement over the standard track rod ends, i just assumed these were whiteline because the car i took them off every thing is whiteline, i may try them and if they wear stick my old track rod ends back on as not sure on the make will fit them at the weekend they dont have no play so far, and as im going to do my tracking anyway best to just put these on.

vss irvine

azboy said:
do they make a much improvement over the standard track rod ends, i just assumed these were whiteline because the car i took them off every thing is whiteline, i may try them and if they wear stick my old track rod ends back on as not sure on the make will fit them at the weekend they dont have no play so far, and as im going to do my tracking anyway best to just put these on.
your set may be whiteline. whiteline made a rosejoint kit for the gtir, it was made for POWERSTATION iirc. not sure if they are still available.
i have the kit part number but theyre over £200.

O

Odin

j10gtr said:
Reading these stories im having reservations about fitting these now.

Thanks
Paul

I wouldn't take much notice of all the story's matey, They are a vast improvement over the standard track rod ends, But you must remember and accept that motor sport derived stuff normally has a shorter life span than the OE stuff that the manufacturers fit from the factory!

My old cheap rod ends lasted only 3000 miles but the new stainless ones I expect to last at least 10000 miles, I have no problem shelling out £30-£50 every 10k for new rod ends myself.

Rob

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
vss irvine said:
your set may be whiteline. whiteline made a rosejoint kit for the gtir, it was made for POWERSTATION iirc. not sure if they are still available.
i have the kit part number but theyre over £200.
No they don't make them any more.

I think what it was Powerstation were/are the UK's Whiteline distributor. Many moons ago Powerstaion developed a bumpsteer kit for the pulsar FOR Whiteline. Thus the "Whiteline bumpsteer kit" but I think towards the end they must have started to use sub standard joints because they started to receive complaints about them not lasting very long and they stopped making them about 3 years ago.
Then a while later and engineer connected to Powerstaion (Gordon Kay) started making them and did a group buy on here, a load of us bought them only to discover the joints were still sub standard.
You must remember that the kit isn't just the joint, it contains a few other machined parts as well, so I sourced the best joint I could that could be used with the remaining parts, these new joints that have been available for 2 years seem to be working well and they are a big improvement over the OEM part and the powerstion/kay kit.

However :-D there are even better joints available to us that I am looking into but it will involve a little research before they're ready as part of the kit needs to be redesigned.

Last edited:
O

Odin

j10gtr said:
Where can i get a better qulaity kit from and how much do these cost ?

Cheers
Paul

You can't buy the kits any more I don't think, What we where on about is better quality replacement rod ends for kits that people already have fitted, I think Steve Pudney is looking into producing a new full kit but going on his track record I wouldn't hold your breath if you're in a hurry :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Rob

j10gtr

Thats not what I wanted to hear.

Wanted to get them fitted before I had my suspension set up.

Cheers
Paul

azboy

this car i got everything of has been sat for 4 years and like new still every thing so i may try to make up some kind of protective boots for them, 1 thing which r good are the koni shocks cant say anthing bad about them at all much better then nismo shocksas too soft and coilovers for the road