bumpsteer kit. very confused??

dobby

hi guys,

I want to get the bumpsteer kit but which one should I get. I did do a search and this is why I'm confused. I read that they wear out quickly so what do you replace on them cos all i see is part numbers. what is the kit exactly?
Your help would be much appreciated. I will order one asap once I understand.

cheers.

Mark

kirko

if you drive your car enthusiastically you will have noticed an element of understeer :?
the bumpsteer kit reduces this to an acceptable level :lol:
part of the kit is a pair of rod ends these are the parts that wear :(
they are easily replaced and/or upgraded most people think the lack of understeer is well worth the cost of replacing rod ends annually

Last edited:

creedy

i belive powerstation only sell them when they have about 30 peeps after them. this is what i was told before. more cost efective making a big bach up.

D

deslynam

Does it reduce the ride comfort at all, or just alter the geometry slightly?
I'm finding the Teins & fully poly-bush kit I've got has reduced understeer a bit but don't want it any firmer or any fillings might be shaken out!

creedy

just get the Whiteline handling kit. made all the difference on my R 8)
and i use it for the odd track day

SunOnGTiR

You'll love it,especially roundabouts :wink:
Make sure you do the tracking after you put them on/take them off.
Powerstation said to me when mine had too much playto pass MOT that the bearings get worn because owners put big wheels on :evil:
They had only done 3000 miles and on STANDARD wheels :?

Carlb

just did a search for bumpsteer kits and they just look like uprated track rod ends :? is that all the kits include?

they sell these in demon thieves but i cant be sure if they will fit without measuring the standard ones

might be worth a look if anyone knows spec!

if this helps the problem then its got to be woth investing in as i have noticed just a bit of understeer myself :shock:

Carlb

so would you still benefit from these if your standard ones had no play?

if so how?

because in theory nothing changes asuming your tracking was right to beggin with?

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Fast Guy said:
Carlb said:
just did a search for bumpsteer kits and they just look like uprated track rod ends :? is that all the kits include?
That's all they are.
No, the complete bumpsteer kit replaces the standard track rod ends. So to do that the Bumpsteer kit includes a threaded sleeve that fits on the track rod arm, a rod end bearing and a tapered locating pin (that fits into the lug on the hub).
The reason all you can find when you do a search is about rod end bearings is because there seems to be a problem with the quality of the rod end bearing supplied with the Powerstation/Whiteline Kit. Basically they wear very quickly. That lead me into sourcing a very good quality rod end bearing that would replace the bearing that was in the existing kits already fitted to our cars.
The bearings I found are not sold by the likes of Demon Tweeks, the ones I found are extremely good quality and designed for motorsport.

If you want a bumpsteer kit there might be other options I don't know about but one option you have would be to approach Powerstation and by there highly over priced kit, then when the bearings are worn replace just the bearing for the GAXSW14x1.5 MS from www.autosport-bearings.co.uk

Steve

Last edited:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
stevepudney said:
So to do that the Bumpsteer kit includes a threaded sleeve that fits on the track rod arm, a rod end bearing and a tapered locating pin (that fits into the lug on the hub). Steve
All of which makes up an uprated track rod end? :wink:

(Maybe modified would be a better word than uprated :? )

bracpan

They are not just an upgrade on the normal track rod end. What they do is alter the pivot point of were the steering arm works at, this has been worked out so that when the suspension compresise as it goes over a bump or in a corner the wheel stays in the same plane as at normal height.(well as close to) hence the term bump steer. On the standard set up the wheel turns slightly as the supension compresses this kit cuts the movment down. Simple idea but has to be worked out propaly.
Cheers
Phil 8)