Build up - For low/mid end power

Trip

I want to build a setup for low and mid range power/torque, having high end power would always be a bonus. Car will not be used on the road so there is no need to be street legal :-D

I am going with a 3071R with external WG to match my DP manifold with T3 flange. I am not sure if I should go for the 0.63 or 0.82 AR. The wastegate will vent out separate from the exhaust. Between the turbo and inlet manifold, I am opting for a water/ice to air charge cooler to minimise the piping and hopefully minimise lag. Anti-lag is also in the equation.

Have some questions for the GTi-R experts.

1) Since I want my low and mid torque high, would I benefit going for a higher rev limiter to get some more high end power ?

2) Should I get tomei/jun cams for low/mid power or standard cams will suffice?

3) Where is the best place to get the head ported and polished for maximum flow?

4) Lag difference between 0.63 and 0.82 ?

5) If I had to go with a higher rev limiter, will I need uprated rods ?

Anyone with more insights/ideas about my goals who would like to share, please do so

THANKS
Ev

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Hello Ev,

opinons below:

Have some questions for the GTi-R experts.

1) Since I want my low and mid torque high, would I benefit going for a higher rev limiter to get some more high end power ?

-Not without a bigger turbo and/or really wild cams & headwork. Most people are finding the 3071 gives its best between 6-7K.

2) Should I get tomei/jun cams for low/mid power or standard cams will suffice?

-For low/mid, standard would suffice. Most of the cams move the power band up rather than down and cams are a pain to fit as you can never get the right shims.

3) Where is the best place to get the head ported and polished for maximum flow?

-In Malta..... absolutely no idea :lol:

4) Lag difference between 0.63 and 0.82 ?

-Minimal, maybe a couple 100rpm? Considering my new exahsust knocked at least 500-1000rpm off my own setup and whether you have cams headwork, huge intercooler, fancy manifolds etc, my guess is the difference is lost in the noise. IMO the difference in achievable horsepower is probabaly minimal in the 1.4to 1.8Bar range that most people go for too.

5) If I had to go with a higher rev limiter, will I need uprated rods ?

I put uprated rods in mine but no one had really pushed the standard rods at that time. For a 3071, probably not, people say use uprated ARP bolts but I wonder if some new Nissan bolts would be fine too?

Trip

campbellju said:

-In Malta..... absolutely no idea :lol:
:-D thanks
absolutely right. I would never trust it to someone on malta, being i'll be a guinea pig

Is there any one in UK who i can trust in shipping my head over and do polish/porting and he can ship it back.

Also will i benefit porting the head using standard cams,valves for my low/mid range power ?

oap-r

I love Rob xxx
Trip said:
:-D thanks
absolutely right. I would never trust it to someone on malta, being i'll be a guinea pig

Is there any one in UK who i can trust in shipping my head over and do polish/porting and he can ship it back.

Also will i benefit porting the head using standard cams,valves for my low/mid range power ?
You would gain from porting & polishing your cyl head no matter what cams you have fitted.

There is another thread you should try searching for as there is a guy close to heathrow that was mentioned very recently and there is www.agra-eng.co.uk who will be porting my cyl head very shortly.