Buggered Turbo? How can i check it?

A

Anonymous

As topic really.

I whipped the air filter side pipe off today and check for play and theres bugger all, the only think i noticed was one of the 'fins' was black, gave it a wipe and nothing came off so it may have been done while it was reconned.

anything else i can check?

MarkTurbo

Whats the problem with the turbo? Is it smoking or something?

Dont worry about the fins being black, they are on mine too :wink:

A

Anonymous

I've got a problem with the 'R, there seems to be no power over 5500rpm.

gonna see if i cant change the fuel filter now.

no smoke from the turbo, just want to eliminate bits y'know.

MarkTurbo

Does the car feel like its struggling over 5500 rpm?

Fuel filter is a good idea. I've had this problem before but it was at about 6000 rpm. Changed the fuel filter and it was ok again :wink:

J

jiw

how about a slipping clutch, i have recently had problems with oil on my clutch from my g/box making the clutch slip, it feels flat after 5000rpm, jeff

geetee

Surely a slipping clutch - you'll see the revs rise too quickly without any matching increase in speed.

Mine does it any gear 3rd and above now when it comes on boost the revs wizz round to about 6K then gradualy come back down as the clutch regains grip and the road speed increases... won;t last much longer :?

Anyway - that's off topic.

Do a fault code check... you may be getting a bit of Detonation which puts the car in safe mode... no ignition advance etc.

Particularly prevalent in tuned R's in summer still running the TMIC. The extra ambient temp can be enough to push them from running sweet to detonating.

Could also be a faulty knock sensor if the fault code does come up.

Fuel fitler is also a good start as if it's full of shite it will kill the top end power - and also make you run lean. Could be your fuel pump dieing too.

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

A

Anonymous

cheers for the reply geetee.

i've had the R on the rollers a few times now and the fuelings perfect and theres no prob with the fmic / turbo / exhaust so the chap at powerstation said the next thing to check is the det sensor.

gonna go read that post about bypassing it...

(i will bypass it at powerstation so they can make sure there is no det)

T

Toady

maybe your actuator is getting a bit tired and isnt holdin the required boost? :?

A

Anonymous

holds boost perfectly, upto a bar no probs. was new at the end of last year(not that it means it cant be fooked)

A

Anonymous

got a scorpion on it at the moment, seemed the same after i pulled the back box off for the day so im ruling that out.