Breather Venting System

wrc

Afternoon gents,

Just a bit of advice on whats the best opinions on the breather systems on gtir's. I have searched and come up with lots of old threads with alot of conflicting information, now being in 2012 people must have tried and tested different blocking off/venting to atmosphere systems and would like to know the proven best route to take.

The reason is that i have some light blue smoke when letting OFF the throttle, even at a standstill - and its annoying me...... - so essentially im wanting to know the correct procedure for the breathers so i can rule out heavy cam case/crank case breathing....

What to do with the following?

All standing directly in front of engine looking at it.

A) Top left of rocker
B) Right hand side of rocker, the pipe that faces directly towards the passenger side of engine bay
C) Pipe that goes into the oil seperator
D) Pipe from sump drain to bottom of oil seperator

Now my inlet is blanked off, so the rocker cover and inlet are no longer linked.... And I also removed my oil seperator and replaced with a new piece of hose (im wondering if this is my issue...)

Any help would be really appreciated.

Cheers!!

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
a) That's the PCV. - You can block it off, which stops it pulling crank case emissions into the inlet manifold to burn-off... or you can clean it up and leave it alone. I blocked mine off with a kit from Steve because I thought it was the cause of my high idle; actually it looks like it was OK, but I don't really need to burn-off the crank case blow-by.
b/c/d) What you should have is the seperator and a pipe that goes back to the induction pipework. As I understand it, the idea was that under vacuum the PCV pulls the crank case emissions out and fresh air is pulled in from the induction pipework to replace it. When you're not under vacuum it should blow-out the other way and any oil mist should be caught and returned to the sump, and gases can go into the inlet manifold.

After 20-odd years, the oil/mist seperator may not be doing a great job any more. Similarly you may decide you'd rather catch the blow-by that return it to the sump or let it vent into the induction pipework. - I would suggest that it's not really worth buying fancy catch cans unless you like the engine bay bling; a length of hose in an old biscuit tin does the same job for a fraction of the price.

So you've just got a hose that goes from the sump to the crank... and a PCV at the back?

glen-gtir

hi, i have the same problem. can please some body send me some pics of the breather system, because i m confuse.