boostcontroller??

A

aerox

I have a gti-r with rebuilt engine.
I bought a aem ems.
Now,i need something to control the boost.
What's best to controll the boost with the aem:
-the aem boost solenoid or a apeci avc-r

PulsarTom

i dont know much, but when i was hunting for a boost controller, i got told that the apexi avcr was worth the money so thats what i went out and bought. probably pointless reply but thought i wud add my little bit

A

aerox

PulsarTom said:
i dont know much, but when i was hunting for a boost controller, i got told that the apexi avcr was worth the money so thats what i went out and bought. probably pointless reply but thought i wud add my little bit
Ok,thx
I know the avc-r is a good boostcontroller.
A aem solenoid is cheaper.
I wonna know if the avc-r is worth the extra money,because the aem can also control the boost.

PulsarTom

I speak to pulsarboby off here when i need help m8, go to his parts for sale section and get his mobile number, top bloke and always helps best he can!

youngsyp

It all depends on what you require from a boost controller. Now, I'm not sure what the AEM ecu can do with boost control but, the AVC-R can do the following as well as the usual:

1. Gear based boost control
2. RPM based boost contol
3. Fully adjustable duty and target boost level

As it's a dedicated boost controller, it's also very fast in operation.

It also has the various read outs and logging for RPM, speed, throttle position, solenoid duty, boost level, injector duty etc...

antgtir

How good is the solenoid for the AEM?

I personally would prefer to stick to one single unit controlling things, this way you reduce the potential for interference and slowing down the analysis process.

This of course all depends on the quality of the solenoid, the Apexi (single) solenoid is prob one of the best out there (so ive heard) compared to items such as the Blitz BC which uses two smaller solenoids.

Ant.

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Its always better to use a seperate boost controller as you're not going to drive around with a laptop open for when you want to change boost settings are you!!

I personally use the AEM EMS with the A'PEXi AVC-R..

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I'd go with the same manufacturer. My PFC boost controller is knowingly poorer than the standalone units but it still does the job.

The reason I've gone this way is the ECU logs the boost along with everything else which is handy for mapping. Also it gives fault management and cuts ignition on overboost rather than just giving a warning light/bell, that you have to watch for.

On changing boost level, unless you are Rishi (who apparently doesn't exist anyway :lol:) and running major horsepower then set it, map it and leave it alone.

Trip

RishiGTiR said:
Its always better to use a seperate boost controller as you're not going to drive around with a laptop open for when you want to change boost settings are you!!

I use a haltech E8 together with its own boost soleniod. btw, the boost soleniod looks identical to the AEM one. I also have the haltech trim module which allows you to dail-in ignition timing, injector timing or boost pressure. No need of a laptop.

A

aerox

RishiGTiR said:

You can install a switch on the aem and then you can swith between 2 different maps (boostsettings) without a laptop.
That's what a aem mapper (in the netherlands) told me.
I have allready a brand new black avc-r,raedy to install.
But if a avc-r isn't better,i use a aem solenoid.
I dont like to much gauges,controllers,...