Boost Switch

Matty B

Hi everybody. Yet another question from me. Was just wondering if anybody knows anything about a high and low boost switch. A friend of mine had one on his old cossie but can't remember how it worked. Basically when the switch was up the car would run 0.4 bar but when switched down it would run 1.2 bar. Would love one of these little devices on my R, maybe to run standard boost in one position and 1 bar(what it runs now) in the other. Anyone got any thoughts on how this works or even better has anyone done one.Thanks.:-D

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Just get something like an Apexi AVC-R. It and most others have a high and low boost setting, combine that with an off setting and you have 3 levels of boost.

Matty B

Was just thinking of a cheap option you know. Might just have to bite the bullet and buy an apexi if no ones ever done one.

PaulB

why does everything have to be done "on the cheap":doh:

buy a bleed valve and pipe it up to the inside of ur car if you want a cheap option, not be too safe tho:der:

Sam_M

Yes that can be done quite easily, by using an amal valve from an RS Turbo (im guessing Cosworths use them aswell), You just need to set up a 12v supply to the valve and its linked up to the vacum pipes the same way as you would with a bleed valve. Except when you flick the switch the 12v supply opens up the bleed increasing the booooooooooost. You`d have to block up the bleed hole a little otherwise you`d run unlimited boost. You can also set up a 2 stage boost system with a couple of amal valves.

I set one of these up on my 11Turbo and it worked fantastic with no spiking at all 10psi at the actuator and 18psi at the flick of a switch from the amal valve. I was also thinking of doing the same on the Pulsar initially, but too be honest, the pulsar is in a totaly different league and im looking at getting an Apexi Boost controller instead.

Matty B

Thanks pal. I knew it could be done, just wasn't sure how. I think your right though, an Apexi would be better. Cheers. Matt.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
You can also do it with the standard boost solenoid, but you're limited to a 2psi (I think) difference.