Boost loop question

whytie

When running the 1 bar boost loop would it matter if you connected the actuator to the plenium? Instead of the intake hose.

Gaz gtiR

i cant see why not! you will prob get a more acurate reading on your boost gauge of what boost u are actualy running!

whytie

My air filter relocation pipe doesn't have a fitment for a hose to go to the actuator

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
By inlet hose, do you mean the nipple in it before the turbo? - If so, you don't need that; it's just where the excess boost is bled off to instead of to atmosphere.
The important bit is the boost source (usually at the plenum); without that you've got no wastegate control... vacuum has nothing to do with it.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
No. The actuator works off boost. - There's a spring holding it closed, and when boost pushed against the diaphragm it counteracts the sping and opens. All vacuum would do is hold the actutor in the closed position.

williams

If you connect your actuator only to the plenum you will just run actuator pressuren to run more boost you need to bleed it off somewhere.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
If you connect your actuator only to the plenum you will just run actuator pressuren to run more boost you need to bleed it off somewhere.
Yes. With the standard solenoid it's opens and bleeds the boost back into the inlet pipework between the MAF and the turbo. - The other alternative, which is how most of the electronic controllers work, is to simply interupt the boost until you reach the set point, then open the solenoid which effectively couples the actuator directly to your boost source.

iomegalinux

when you have an electric boost controller, is there a clean-up you can do ? with the old boost solenoid.
i have 4 itb vaccum hose + 1 vaccum hose coming under plenum,+ another one going to fpr with some "T" going to boost gauge, bov, etc..
i run rich(11.5:1 - 12:1) at idle and i suspect one of those million line.

skiddusmarkus

I removed all that gubbins whne I fitted a fmic and bleed valve years back.No need for it to be there anymore, although I remember Mike(Ex-GTiR)used to wire 2 standard solenoids together for a home made boost controller that he rated highly.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I'm the same; there's nothing between my plenum and the actuator except for my dawes device. - The port on my inlet pipework is blocked-off.

whytie

Thanks was just wanting a quick fix, I have a boost controller just didn't want to connect and wire it in to run a bar