Boost hoses keep comming off

S

Stoned

This is annoying me now. I've just fitted a FMIC with all the pipework etc, I believe it's based on the Hybrid kit

Anyhow most times when I put my foot down a boost pipe blows off.

What did people do to solve this?

I've got the samco's on a good way and I’m tightening the hose clips up as much as I can. Should I just double up the hose clips on each pipe?

Also where can I get one of those screwdrivers that have a socket end that fit onto the hose clip nut?
Saves messing around with flathead or Phillips screwdrivers ends that can slip?

Cheers

O

Odin

Get some proper hose clamps, Didn't you get a load with the kit? :? , I did :wink: .

rob

S

Stoned

It was secondhand off a guy on here. Some of them are thin and dont really look man enough for the job.

I went into Halfords and they only go up to 2" clips so i'm gonna try machinemart tomorrow

stugtir

hi mate if you have no luck, try CP fastenings in marmion rd southsea they should have some decent size jubilee clips, or you could always get some decent mikalor clips,

like these:

There a couple of quid each but they will never budge! :wink:

You can get them from here:http://www.dmemotorsport.co.uk/index.htm

S

Stoned

They look the daddys. I'm gonna get them. Anyone know what size they are?

Mr GTiR

The problem you have is because on the pipes you have there are no little 'bits' of metal for the clamps to hold onto. I know it's not a very good way of explaining it so i'll try and find a pic of what i mean.

S

Stoned

Mr GTiR said:
The problem you have is because on the pipes you have there are no little 'bits' of metal for the clamps to hold onto. I know it's not a very good way of explaining it so i'll try and find a pic of what i mean.
Do you mean the lip at the end of the pipes? If so yes I thought the same.

I've ordered some of those heavy duty clips, they should do better!

Mr GTiR

Stoned said:
Do you mean the lip at the end of the pipes? If so yes I thought the same.
yes, as my intcooler pipes have them on and i use to run 1.2 bar of boost with standard jubliee clips all day long.

Somthing as simple as this would solve your problem. You only need big Mikula (sp) clips if your running big boost.

BenD

I didnt have a lip on my pipes, and they kept blowing. i used a pipe flaring tool at work, and its stopped the problem :wink:

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
This used to happen to me as well, it's terrifing if your ripping along on boost and booooom !!! you think the world has ended!! and it can be a right pain if you got no tools on board (always carry a tool bag with the essentuals now).

What I found is that it was fine up until things got hot, then it would always be the pipe run on the hot side of the intercooler that suffered.

I took all the pipe run off and ran a weld all the way round the end of each pipe, about a 1/4" from the end. Never happened again.

I got Mikolor clips now as well so the f00kers will never blow off.