Boost em HIGH..need help on bleed valve info

P

pushermanR

Need help recently had 2 pistons detonated at great expence to the pocket...Think its down to a ill-fitted bleed valve causing ultra boost...
This how it came fitted=
It runs from Turbo actuator to solenoid control valve and then 2 the bleed valve...(Shouldnt you just cap the solenoid and bypass it altogether)..
Im new to this car and its doin my nut this high boost and its not helping the gentle run in of new pistons...
Can somebody give me a link or instructions for plumbing this thing in correctly....
Plus im sure this bad plumbing has wrecked the turbo too... :cry: :cry:

G

GTiRich

To be honest mate bleed valves are a waste of time. Your much better off getting an electronic controller. That way you can control the boost and avoid piston meltings

P

pushermanR

Gonna get one when money permits..but for now i wanna sort this out before i get anymore engine probs :wink:

G

GTiRich

Just a thought but if you carry on with your bleed valve and u end up doing damage to your engine again, it's gonna cost a lot more to fix than the price of an electronic boost controller. Thats just my opinion tho

P

pushermanR

Set the car back up like in the orig http://www.gti-r.com/Reference/BoostControls.gif
seems 2 be running a little lower but im not gonna hammer it at the moment with the new pistons and bottom ends...
I have still got the orig guage on because i only had the car three weeks before it blew...
So what should it read if the car was running with normal boost with the factory guage???

mattygti-r

lol jon :roll:

but seriously if your running a bleed valve the normal guage if ur running a bar wont show infact anything over 0.7 it wont show and its quite inaccurate anways

it should show 0.65 for normal boost

with the valve say set at 1bar, the standard guage may read 0.7 for instance but u could be running 1.2bar etc or anything over 0.7 cos the gauge wont measure it

JIMMYBACK

just to le u know matty the 7 on the orginal dial is 14 psi in normal boost terms but like u sed it not a very accurate gauge in the first place :shock:

P

pushermanR

Gone and bought a 2 bar reading boost guage with pod...are they easy to fit the instructions say hook it up near the inlet manifold..or is there a better place for a more safer reading plus is the orig guage mechanical or electronic...if its electronic would i be best swapping this mechanical one i bought and using the existing wiring from the orig guage.... :?

P

pushermanR

Its by Auto Guage its one of those you can select the colour of its illumination(like that matters)...Shall i go with a electronic or the manual one Matty!!!!!The guy at the store said he would change it for a electronic one if i changed they old mind.

mattygti-r

:roll: auto guage? who are they when they are at home?

not being funny mate but checking boost levels is quite critical,

some guages, arnt that great on reading boost,

cheap guages wont give accurate levels, tobe hoenst ive never seen an "auto guage" .

personally i only use jap stuff, but thats cos i knwo they are good quality and read all levels ok (boost, oil pressure etc)

ive just splashed out over £500 on a 3 guages so you pay for what you get :wink:

P

pushermanR

The guage and bleed valve aside for a moment...There is another little thing with the car when acclerating hard then changing gear i get a kind of strange whooshing spining sound thought at first it was a aftermarket blow or dump valve but when i looked under the intercooler its got the original valve on!!!So whats that sound!!!could it be the turbo on its last lil legs....

G

GTiRich

The standard valve does give a cheeky little whoosh from time to time

P

pushermanR

I wondered if it maybe that but it looks like a sealed unit can that whirl be from there... Is it advisable to fit a aftermarket dump valve..some are a bit loud...which ones are less WHHHHOOOOSSSSHHHH!!!
Im sure all these questions will be answered when it goes for a full set up on the rolling road but until then these little things are buggin the arse off me..

G

GTiRich

Yeah the standard valve is a re-circ type but you can still hear a whoosh when giving it some. Deffinately upgrade your DV. You can have a re-circ which will be like what you've got at the mo. You could go for an atmospheric which can be as loud as you like or i believe theres a hybrid valve which re-circs at low pressure and vents to atmosphere at higher pressures. But in my opinion the louder the better lol

geetee

The noise you are hearing is the turbo compressor blades whizzing through the very compressed air that builds up when you lift off. You hear this more with an aftermarket cone or pod type filter.

As regards the bleed valve, there are some horror stories about, but to be honest the only ones I have heard are where they have been plumbed in wrongly and not carefully set up. I wouldn't use one for anything over 1 bar mind as it's very imprecise in controlling boost spikes (which you won't see on your gauge unless you have someone else in the car watching it the whole time).

You are right, the standard boost solenoid should be bypassed when using a bleed valve. Just unplug the 2 pipes from it and seal them up with a couple of bolts and some tape.

Then....

The pipe from the wastegate actuator goes to one side of the bleed valve, attach the other side into the pipe that runs down from the underside of the intercooler frame.

Wind the bleed valve all the way in to start with, this should give you lower than standard boost. Then slowly wind it out bit by bit taking it for a good run in between to see what it peaks at. 4th gear motorway is good for seeing peak hold boost. But bear in mind 1st and 2ng gear may see it spiking higher, which when your accelerating like that it can be hard to concentrate on the gauge!

CHeers
GeeTee 8)

P

pushermanR

Thanks GeeTee thats how i have it plumbed at the moment....but i think the loud turbo sounds might be its way of saying bye bye...Left it running for about ten mins watching the tail pipe and every now and then you get they old dreaded blue smoke puffin out...I think this might be the root of the piston detonation saga i endured with much loss 2 pocket....Gonna book it in the garage and get this turbo off and replaced or repaired...its just gone past its warranty....nitemare!!!!!