bonnet openers

Godzilla

anyone notice any difference in temps running these things they hold the bonnet open at the back , iv seen alot or ford RS boys useing em but never ppl with gtir's or are they rubbish and dont work

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I think that we probably get enough air under the bonnet already with that dirty great scoop... plus raising the back up a little will have negligible difference over the existing vents in the bonnet. - People will probably tell me that I'm wrong, but I think the bonnet design (or the Turini) are good enough that you shouldn't need to be lifting it anywhere.

gtir_pimp

i think they have been proven to lower temps and i'm sure alot of people on here use them. stevepudney makes them and sells them for only £15 i think. i bought some but didnt like the look of the bonet being raised at the back so gave them to my mate to use on his R and he likes them.

the chief

ive got these and they do make a difference. i got lower oil temps and the fan was coming on less in traffic. its a cheap and effective mod. the test your on about, i think it was over 130mph

STU4X4

From what ive read and heard they can be effective, yes there is a pretty large scoop taking plenty of air in but where can it come out??? Air flowing through is better than just ramming more air in as it will take the hot/warm air away from your engine bay.

Godzilla

good stuff well i got my car in garage on wed to get fixed for the mot retest so depending on how much it cost il get some ordered along with a stainless spark plug cover

GTiR-Aholic

Would temperatures not be hotter if we placed a thermostat below the fuel regulator and under the intercooler piping.. than if we simply placed it on the underside of the bonnet?

I think under intercooler piping.. near the BOV would show more realistic temperature readings and true results as to whether this will decrease temperatures, raise temperatures or just keep them steady (no change).

I will definitely do a test when I can and post some results because you all have made some good points.

Godzilla

if it helps lower temps im fine with that , just hope i dont start gettinng problems when it rains as the rubber at the back wont seal will it,