blue smoke!

stugtir

for a couple of weeks now i have been getting the odd puff of blue smoke out the exhaust, but i can be going down the road off boost at 20-30mph and as i slow right down i get a puff of it, but if i boot it and back off i get nothing!

im no mechanic but would this be a turbo problem or piston rings or something else?

ive had the inlet pipe to the turbo off and checked for play and theres probably 2mm of sideways movement but 3-4mm of play in and out :cry: , is this whats causing the problem :?:

any advice would be great

stu

M

memski

I would say "yes", sounds like its the turbo. Mine would smoke on idle after a good rag, but when on boost it would be ok, noticed the turbo getting lazier and lazier when spooling. About 1cm in-out play when I took it off :shock:

stugtir

im glad u said that. didnt fancy taking the engine out after last time i done it! :?

now for the nxt question, Wot turbo should i replace it with? i want something that will support 320bhp but i dont want it to struggle.

ive seen a turbo on JGY that looks like it will fit the bill its called the Disco potato GT28 RS. has anybody had any dealings with this company & will i have to modify water and oil feeds?

M

memski

Get the engine checked for compression/leak down to be safe. If you're only after 320bhp why not get the stock T28 rebuilt with 360 degree thrust bearings?

Disco potato is supposed to be a super responsive turbo but I don't know if it's still the turbo of choice anymore - have dealt with jgy but pm me for details, thx.