BLUE SMOKE!! urgent advice

serks2

Hi

While driving my R, every 1 min it blows out a puff off blue smock!! its no allways there, im not sure what it could be,

At the moment its over fueling, and running lumpy, and also has a air leak from the inlet manifold gasket, can this be the problem??

Cheers

Mr GTiR

If the oil is on a gear change then I would say turbo but if it’s under load then I would be looking at rings or a valve seal.

Get a leak down test and compression test done.

snoon

Mine was overfuelling and blowing blue smoke out on run down (ie when slowing down in a gear). Then my piston went bang! Could be drowing oil through pistons like mine was. Had fordged ones fitted now tho! Expensive do tho if the pistons go. John Noble motorsports in Chesterfield told me that the overfuelling problem defo was a factor with my piston problem. Think it would be a big job to get it all apart to have alook tho.

serks2

its reall weird, it just comes out evry minuite sort of thing!!! and sometimes when i change gear!!! can it be from the air leake!!! i spoke to somebody who told me it is because there is too much oil in the engine!!! which is true!! coz we went a bit crazy with the oil!!

P

pulsarboby

had the same problem with mine:cry: bought another turbo, but no still smoked! took engine apart, found out it was piston totally mullered, this was caused by wear in one of the big end shells which was slapping piston against bore wall, yet the oil pressure was good. an air leak will not cause blue smoke, this is an indication of burning oil!
so sorry looks like bad news buddy:sad:

serks2

i still got this problem!! its really getting on my nerves!! i hope its not to much trouble to fix!!! does anybodyknow any good places in or near london???

cheers

Last edited:
P

pulsarboby

see if you can get hold of a compression tester off someone and do a compression test! this will give you some idea as to what state of rings are!
im in southend on sea if you want to bring it up to me one day next week i'l have a look at it for you, and try and see what problem is, it will either be a turbo or piston problem.
drain oil out to correct level then give it a try, but it will normally smoke continuously if youve overfilled it by that much!

DanDud

Drop the oil and put the correct amount in, 4litres IIRC and see if it still does it. You might aswell change the filter while your at it too.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
serks2 said:
Well if its oli burning, then cant it be from having too much oil in the engine???

If you do have too much oil in, then you can be blowing it out of the sump into the breather system, then into the intake and be burning it off as smoke. (if your rings are worn)

Also if you haven't already, sort your gasket and it may run better. If it doesn't run better, find out why it's over fuelling and sort it.

Last edited:

serks2

Fast Guy said:
If you do have too much oil in, then you can be blowing it out of the sump into the breather system, then into the intake and be burning it off as smoke. (if your rings are worn)

Also if you haven't already, sort your gasket and it may run better. If it doesn't run better, find out why it's over fuelling and sort it.

thanks for the info!!!

Last edited by a moderator: