bloody import tax

P

pulsarboby

just ordered in some top secret parts for my car to make it the fastest gtir on the planet:lol::lol:

anyway one of my top secret parts cost me £60 to buy from the states but then i got a letter through the other day from parcelforce stating that my top secret part had been held at customs untill i paid them £23 duty only £7 odd was vat and the rest of the money goes to parcelforce through admin etc

what a fcuking ripoff:evil: ive already paid for delivery and now they want over a third of that cost again to release my top secret part:roll:
its nothing more than highway robbery and in my book its similar to paying salvage on a towed in ship, bloody piracy thats what it is.

all this to build the worlds fastest gtir:roll::lol::lol:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Royal mail are twats for that. I ordered 2 blurays on a bogof last year, but Amazon put the full price of both down which came to about £20. The import limit is something like £18 before you pay duty etc and the order actually cost me about £10, but Royal mail wanted another £12 in charges. I fecked them off and told Amazon they hadn't been delivered.

ashills

you can refuse to pay the charge theres a weird thing about they are ment to ask u first or something but u have to pay the vat either way
a guy wrote a thread about it on mlr

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
you can refuse to pay the charge theres a weird thing about they are ment to ask u first or something but u have to pay the vat either way
a guy wrote a thread about it on mlr

True. I've always refused to pay any charges after delivery.

vss irvine

problem is if it goes to a company like DHL they can chase you for the debt and they can put a marker on your credit file.

geoff pine

It one of those things that pisses you of but as parcel force will not release your goods till you pay there handling charge of £13 refusing to pay it is not an option.

ashills

if u go in there and speak to the manager he knows he has to let you have your parcel ill try and find the thread later

P

pulsarboby

yep they sent me a letter first stating they were holding my parcel and this payment was due. ive paid it now anyway just to get my part that i urgently need, but it would be good to know for future reference if there is a loophole in not having to pay them their ripoff charges.
i dont mind paying the vat as you know that theres a chance that youll get stumped with import duty so thats just luck of the draw but the other charges are scandalous.

piracy my arse! ive had a good few earners towing in W.A.F.I's who have broken down. all goes to the ship beer fund!
(Wind Assisted ****in Idiots!)

haha like me you dont like yaughting types:lol: sink the boogers but leave the motor cruisers alone;-)

EVOBAD

i bought a nex intercoolerspray kit from the us for £110deliverd then had a letter saying i got charge to pay,but i still saved £150 on the same kit sold over hear,bob was the parts heavy as i no for a fact that they only charge customs on heavy goods:-D:-D

GTIR-LOZ

i think they are getting a bit hotter on it i got charged import tax on my power fc commander even though it was price lowered to 50 pounds ive usually got away with it by law i think they can charge import tax on anything over 6 pounds

Trip

Consider your self lucky in UK.. Here in Malta, our local postal service charges you €24 just for admin charges and every item is opened and cross verify the price using several internet searches.

I once exchanged a Apexi Vtec controller with an Emanage, It was a good deal, each to pay his own shipping. I had to "invent" an invoice of $70 for it because they refused to release it without some sort of paper.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
problem is if it goes to a company like DHL they can chase you for the debt and they can put a marker on your credit file.
If I remember, that's because DHL (and similar) pay the import duties on their account to clear the package faster, and get it out of the bonded warehouse.
Because they cough-up without ever questioning it, they expect you to do the same.

O

Odin

I just got a similar letter from parcel force, I ordered some stuff for my Datsun a few weeks ago and they want £20 to release it to me, £12 vat and £8 for the pleasure of them paying the vat bill for me and sending out a letter :roll::doh:.

But overall I've ordered and received thousands of pound worth of stuff over the last few years, And I've only paid vat on about 5-10% of it so I'm not to bothered about this bill, It has all worked out in my favour overall so Blobster stop whining like a 5 year old baby girl who's lost her mummy :roll::der:.

Rob

P

pulsarboby

is true what your saying rob, but £23 on a part that cost £58 is a bit steep do you not think?
ive paid it just to get my part asap but i dont like being ripped off and thats basically what these people are doing.

unlike you ive been had nearlly everytime ive ordered stuff in from the states
turbo £168
engine parts (pistons) were £40 odd amongst loads of other bits ive been had for.
now im not whining about the vat duty 'i accept that', but i hate being taken for a mug by these bl00dy courier companies who seem to think they can charge whatever they see fit, i spend a fortune with various couriers throughout the year and they try and scam every penny they can from you so i think ive got a right to moan lol

STU666V

I just got stuff from USA last week about £150 worth and i told the company to put it down as a gift and told them to put the value as $70 just incase they charged me import tax, VAT and so on and it arrive in 5 days with no extra charges. Sorted ;-)

noriek2003

the loop hole is that a private company can not hold a parcel in lieu of charges, its all in the postal act something or other, and since parcel fools became a private company a while ago that includes them.

you could actually have them arrested if they refused to give you your parcel, vat/duty you must, however pay if theres a charge.