Bloody exhaust elbow...

M

mynheers_a_pint

Hi All,

After dealing with this 'issue' time after time, I figured it's about time I sought a fix for it as it's the only thing that is really pissing me off about owning my Pulsar at the moment. Well, that and it needs a good tarting up but we'll ignore that for now...

Anyway, the issue I have is that ever since I upped the boost and upgraded the turbo, the elbow CONSTANTLY works it's way free from the turbo. to the point where, after 1 VERY spirited drive, it came off completely (Santa pod, very annoying day..!) I think one of my key issues is that the turbo is only ever held on with 4 bolts/studs as the very top bolt holes do not line up (common issue with the GT2871) however, I would have thought that 4 bolts, or even 2, would have been able to keep the bloody thing on.

Now, it is my hope to upgrade the elbow at some pont (seems a bit stupid I haven't already done it but things always come up) but for now, it'd be nice just to keep the thing in place and not sound farty. Assuming this is a common issue with other peoples cars, with similar modifications, how have people managed to keep their elbows on (aside from their sleeves ;-))? Are there exhaust locking nuts that work or is there some other magical means of preventing this?

Thanks all.

M

mynheers_a_pint

Could the problem also be attributed to the use of bolts? I am using 2 bolts and 2 studs due to the locations of each.

stumo

You're best using studs n nuts rather than bolts.

Make sure you use all 5 studs etc, you have to elongate one hole to get them to fit properly.

Use a gasket, you can get single layer gaskets from the likes of AET etc, you might have to modiy it slightly to fit properly.

There's self locking nuts called "K" nuts, expensive but worth it.

CruiseGTi-R

Mine also worked loose after having taken it off during a rebuild.

I had used aftermarket studs, which seem to have popped up all over the place in the last couple of years.

Went back to using the Nissan studs and its been ok since. I was told the Nissan stud steel grade and thread spec is much better quality.

Maybe that has something to do with how well the studs bind into the turbo thread.

As said, use spring/crickle washers. Or, use a nyloc nut with a plain washer, thats what i have on mine and worked fine.
Im sure even loctite 222 (thread retaining compound) will be ok, just not sure it can handle the temps though...

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I would have thought that was the issue with a nyloc nut too; nylon on a hot exhaust... smells like trouble. :roll:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I think one of my key issues is that the turbo is only ever held on with 4 bolts/studs as the very top bolt holes do not line up (common issue with the GT2871)
So get a dremmil and open it out the little it needs.
That's not your problem anyway as my standard elbow had all 5 nuts work loose and was only partly held on by one nut when I came to sort it. It is quite a common issue though. The manifold to turbo nuts can go the same way too.

M

mynheers_a_pint

thanks all for the replies. To go through a few comment; I've tried spring washers to no avail but can give them another go. Nyloc nut's aren't an option, for obvious reasons. There is a high temp version of 222 but it's rated to ~450F which I don't think is high enough. Could be wrong though..!

I guess I was hoping for some surefire fix to this issue once and for all but I'll give a few suggestions ago and provide feedback. And will pull my finger out and sort the 5th bolt hole lined up..!

Many thanks again.