Blinding Idea: cheap frontmount ic (big pics)

Dooie Pop Pop

absolute corker this one :wink: Mr rscos320bhp decided not so long after seein a gtir tmic that he wanted to frontmount one for his cossie :!:

i know frontmounting an oe intercooler' s been done before but what micks done is pretty clever and as iv not seen it on here i thought id post it.

he' s cut the end can off one side with a grinder, flipped it up the other way so that both feeds are at the top 8) then cut the outfeeds off and welded some pipes on the top so it comes off at a 90 degree angle.

it looks very much like the nd/spec R option B kit but cost him naff all 8) think the welding bill was £120 all in and the ic was about £30.

its already fitted on his cossie and works a treat! will take some pics soon :wink:

cheers, stu

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Why didn't he just use a proven Cossie kit? (unless he was skint)
I'd be surprised if the factory Gtir intercooler would perform as good as one.

Dooie Pop Pop

Fast Guy said:
Why didn't he just use a proven Cossie kit? (unless he was skint)
I'd be surprised if the factory Gtir intercooler would perform as good as one.
not sure mate he' ll probably tell you himself soon :wink: i suspect its got more to do with the fact that Micks a fiddler and loves to diy. i know he wanted the rs 500 kit :twisted: when he saw my tmic the first thing he mentioned was about him having it (exactly the same thing an rst owner at work said :? )
he' s got a pace ally rad and the pipes go over the top just lovely 8) iirc the oe intercooler his cossie had was a fair bit smaller than the gtir one.

regards, stu

MarkTurbo

Its probably a lot better than the standard cossie intercooler, even the bigger 4x4 one is only about half the size of an R topmount :lol:

JIMMYBACK

there is nothing wrong wiv the gtir cooler its just the positing of the cooler itself thats it down fall :D

S

Stoned

MarkTurbo said:
Its probably a lot better than the standard cossie intercooler, even the bigger 4x4 one is only about half the size of an R topmount :lol:
It's bigger than you think as it's considerably thicker than a gti-r IC

Dooie Pop Pop

Stoned said:
MarkTurbo said:
It's bigger than you think as it's considerably thicker than a gti-r IC
its deeper sure but i didn' t think it was that much :? it does lack surface area though. results speak for themselve' s and i think micks happy :lol: something about 'full lengh of test straight wheelspins' :roll: :lol:
i' ll try and get some pics tomorrow :wink:

i still think its a good idea as the pipe run for the R would be easier/cheaper/shorter :lol: and there' s always someone who wants a cheaper option :wink:

stu

Dooie Pop Pop

close stevie, cheers for that :D flipped up end can and he' s had the original outlets cut off and new 90degree ones put on
so simple i knew it must of been done before, iv just not seen it.

stu

R

rscos320bhp

TOPMOUNT

i am that man, tmic cost nowt ,welding £100 cash ,alloy pipe 3ft £11.00 and 5 hours stripping down car and putting it back together works a treat feels alot more responsive and wants to have it ,anyway its 4.24am time for me bed, need it as ive just finnished work speak to u all later cossy mick.

L

leeboy

Its efficient because of the shape of the end caps, because both ends are oposite it uses the full intercooler rather than just the centre section, its hard to explain but im sure you know what i mean

Dooie Pop Pop

is that the 2bar of boost grade of blue cloth :shock:

nice work mik :wink: i would think you' d need a shorter rad for use in the R though :)

stu