Bleed valve to fierce ?

T

Too Slick

When i finally get my machine off the boat from Japan i was thinking of using the same bleed valve that i used on my WRX.
The only thing is that it used to knock my head back when it used to kick in :twisted:
However, using this on the GTI-R, would this be to much for the gearbox
and the clutch at 1 bar?
I realise 1 bar will be fine but its the kick im worried about :idea:

G

GAZ P

When I was running 1bar the boost came in real smooth and even now running 1.4bar it's not what I would call neck snapping.You just get pushed back in the seat and all scenery turns into a blur :lol:

geetee

why should a bleed valve be any harsher bringing the boost in than an EBC or Dawes Device :?: :?:

mattygti-r

NOOOOOO I FOOKING hate bleed valves utter utter shite :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

why skimp on a £30 valve when u can get a proper controller that has warning/peak hold etc,

T

Too Slick

geetee said:
why should a bleed valve be any harsher bringing the boost in than an EBC or Dawes Device :?: :?:
I dont know, i think it must be something to do with the ceramic ball in it or something.
Its a Grant Baker Engineering valve and believe me its a lot different to a dawes

geetee

urm yep... a bleed valve is a lot different to a dawes.... :?

and a dawes is a lot different to an EBC

and an EBC is a lot different to drilling a 1.6mm hole in the standard boost controller....

still don't see your point.

The boost will come on pretty much the same with any of them....

Except you may get a bit of wastegate creep with a standard setup or EBC....

Anyways up, at 1 bar, your standard clutch isn't going to last too long however you do it.

The gearbox should be fine at 1 bar, unless you fit a paddle clutch and do 6K launches all day. The R gearbox is strong. But up your boost then fit a paddle clutch and all your take offs lash the gearbox components hard.

At 1 bar you're better off with an organic clutch like the Helix or AP.... it provides a nice buffer between the engine and gearbox.

It's far cheaper to replace clutches than rebuild gearboxes.

Interesting view from Matty there
why skimp on a £30 valve when u can get a proper controller that has warning/peak hold etc,
from a bloke who imports and sells electronic boost and fuel controllers.

nuff said.

GeeTee 8)

MarkTurbo

geetee said:
The R gearbox is strong.
I dont think strong is quite the right word to describe the R gearbox :wink: :lol:

I've completly destroyed 1 box and ripped all the teeth off 2nd gear on another box. And thats with a pretty much standard R :roll:

R

r5ben

wooooooo woooo wooooooo wait a min whats a Dawes Device :oops:
im lost now

mattygti-r

lol at geetee, :lol:

obviously yes it is up to whoever owns the car to decide on what way they want to go,

all i meant is yes u can run one bar with a bleed valve etc, but in my experience ive heard of not very good things with these types of devices, on various cars not just Pulsars.

example...look at Matts or "tarts" car....he had a valve on it, and at the RR shootout...found out he was running 1.2bar! didtn even know what boost he was running until then (was on standard clutch too)

a dawes device is slightly better,

i just think if your going to up the boost, why not have a device where u can see what boost your running, recall what peak holds youve "hit" etc, and i thikn id trust an electronic device more than a dawes device.

you only relaly up the boost once...why do it the cheap way? :roll: :wink:

if you are goign to run 1 bar , you will prob need a clutch at some point anway :D

T

Too Slick

I would'nt mind running an electrical boost controller its just the fitting of it that concerns me.
Where i live ( Haywards Heath) theres not a lot of places that i can use
so im not just being a skinflint, Honest :lol:

geetee

They're easey enough to fit TBH

You're teeing into the same pipes as for the bleed valve anyway.

Just got the extra bit of work to mount the control unit somewhere in the dash. But you can just sling it in the glovebox if ur feeling lazy.

Cheers
GeeTee

BenD

MarkTurbo said:
geetee said:
The R gearbox is strong.
I dont think strong is quite the right word to describe the R gearbox :wink: :lol:

I've completly destroyed 1 box and ripped all the teeth off 2nd gear on another box. And thats with a pretty much standard R :roll:
i actually second what geetee said, the box is more than capable of taking 1bar, i was even running 1.3 bar on std box and clutch, and ive had no probs, and i dont drive it like a poof either, suppose im just lucky its a decent box :wink:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
MarkTurbo said:

Your driving style? :p
Mine's almost standard, but it gets launched and driven hard and has lasted over 2 years so far.

kevgti-r

Too Slick said:
I would'nt mind running an electrical boost controller its just the fitting of it that concerns me.

olly and me both live near haywards heath and can fit boost controlers :)
and olly can fit a new clutch when you kill the standard one :lol:

T

Too Slick

kevgti-r said:
Too Slick said:

olly and me both live near haywards heath and can fit boost controlers :)
and olly can fit a new clutch when you kill the standard one :lol:
I might take you up on that mate, Thanks :lol: