black smoke and super AFR's!!!

A

Anonymous

i have just acquired my gtir it's fairly standard and has a HKS super AFR fitted. never seen one of these before, whats it do? and how do you use it?
it has a REP button, an IDLE and a GAIN button... i think the car is running rich or over fuelling as i have a small amount of black smoke and she is running lumpy and feels like she wants to conk out. any help would be great as i'm bricking it my engine is fooked!!! :(

S

str_motorsport

it is a fuel computer..like the apexi s-afc it is connected to the MAF and modify the signal coming in the ecu to change A\F ratio.
you should ask for fitting instructions or go to a tuner which is good with HKS stuff.

M

Mart

Or if u don't have much more modded on the car then a filter and a zorst, then disconnect it and see how she runs

kyepan

check the MAF, vacum hoses, intake hose from the filter down to turbo(for leaks).. check the leads and plugs are ok to make sure its firing on all cylinders, check for water in the plug well that is not covered by the intercooler. and see how you get on from there. most of this has been covered lots of times in the problem solving so you will be able to find out about each thing there. other people might know exactly what it is, as they are more experienced with the cars.

one more thing, do you have a boost guage, and do you know what boost its running at the moment? standard is like 0.7bar
cause if its running over a 1.0 bar, taking the s-afr off would be a bad idea, as it would run lean and properly kill your engine.