biggest wheels - stock guards?

LTLRKT

Hey guys, im looking at a big brake upgrade and im trying to find some lightweight 17's.

My understanding is that larger wheel and smaller tire is better for handling, smaller wheel larger tire for drag racing. please correct me if im wrong.

What is the widest tire/wheel combo we can fit. I've noticed from searching some people have run 16x8's. But my guess is that 17x8 will rub???

Would 17x7.5 fit? with say 225/40 or 35 tires?

Please note the car has standard guards and is running Tein H/A's

Thanks for any help.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
What brakes are you fitting? 330mm AP 4 pots will fit under 16" compomotive MOs. I'm not sure of the width.
I have 315mm AP 4pots under 7x16s.

LTLRKT

well im looking at buying Red Reading's KAD 6 pots with 330mm discs. Im not concerned with them fitting under 16's, i think thats what he was running on the car. What im trying to find out is how wide can i go in 17's.

If im right, running a 17 with a smaller tire will give me slightly better handling than a 16 with a thicker tire.
But i want as much rubber (width) as i can get. so can 17x8 fit, or 17x7.5? Or am i stuck with 17x7.

skiddusmarkus

Tyres are pretty flexible with what width wheels they will go on.I have 215/45/15 on 15x7's, how much wider do you want to go?If you go too wide it will tramline more.

Think I preferred it on 205/45/15 tbh.

LTLRKT

i wouldnt go bigger than 215's on 7inch wheels: 215mm = 8.4 inch's of tire.
But 225's on an 8 inch would work nice, or even stick to the 215's, im sure this would assist in handling. But i do want to make sure im buying the correct sized wheel and get the maximum (and most appropriate) rubber on there. Will be running semi slicks.

Due to an uncanny sequence of events, the car is now FWD and the front tire width is important to me. Motor is pushing some where close to 500hp.

I hope this helps with the advice im looking for :)

vss irvine

we run 17 x 7.5 wheels with 205 tyres, et 35 and teins aswell, theres no rubbing with standard guards and the car sits low enough.

for 8 inch wide personally id go to 215 tyres.

red reading

well im looking at buying Red Reading's KAD 6 pots with 330mm discs. Im not concerned with them fitting under 16's, i think thats what he was running on the car. What im trying to find out is how wide can i go in 17's.

If im right, running a 17 with a smaller tire will give me slightly better handling than a 16 with a thicker tire.
But i want as much rubber (width) as i can get. so can 17x8 fit, or 17x7.5? Or am i stuck with 17x7.
The wheels on the car are 17" x 8" with 205/40/17 toyo proxes, you will not get the kad brakes in 16" wheels

LTLRKT

Thanks guys, thats what im looking for.

Red, what offset are those 17x8's?

Actually, what brand/model wheels are they?

Last edited:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member

225/35/17s might be about as sensibly wide as you can go. I had 225/40/16s on for a while they were mostly OK, but would rub on heavy bumps when the suspension compressed abit too much.
A light 16 with a small tyre will handle better than a light 17 with a small tyre. I have 215/35/16s I don't think you can get that small in a 17.
Is Kads the ones Apex used to sell. I tried them under miy 7x16s and they only just wouldn't fit. With a wider wheel or big spacer I'm sure they would have. It's just the internal diammetre of the wheel tapers in towards the hub.

red reading

225/35/17s might be about as sensibly wide as you can go. I had 225/40/16s on for a while they were mostly OK, but would rub on heavy bumps when the suspension compressed abit too much.
A light 16 with a small tyre will handle better than a light 17 with a small tyre. I have 215/35/16s I don't think you can get that small in a 17.
Is Kads the ones Apex used to sell. I tried them under miy 7x16s and they only just wouldn't fit. With a wider wheel or big spacer I'm sure they would have. It's just the internal diammetre of the wheel tapers in towards the hub.
Nope apex did'nt sell them,KAD or kent auto developments are the people that made the first 16v mini conversions, The brake kits for our cars ar about £1300.