Big lack of power !

goshko

Hi guys, seems like my car has been lacking power even in full boost @ 15 psi ... Even my gf told me about it ! The engine has 9000 kms on it and was frreshly rebuilt wih all oem parts. The engine is showing very healthy compression numbers @ 170 psi accross the board. So far I changed cap,rotor, plugs (running 7 heat range atm) and wires (ngk stuff). Running an hks bov, manual turbo controller and upgarded rewired fuel pump. No vaccum or boost leaks were found. When I am iin WOT my afr goes down to 11.2, is this to low ? I also noticed my timing rises too high 30s low 40s as I accelerate ... Hope I gave enough info to help me diagnose something out !

P

pulsarboby

is the car achieving the max set boost?
does it just feel as though its holding back throughout the rev range or just topend, or intermittently missing as you put your foot down?

goshko

It is achieving max boost yes, and it just feels like it's holding back throughout the rev range not just top end ... from 3500 to 7000 rpm ... just feels like the car is holding back and not wanting to go anywhere really.

P

pulsarboby

well my foremost thought would be a dodgy knock sensor as that will give those exact symptoms
i would change it for a known good one

goshko

quick question : should ignition timing decrease as boost increases ?
I find my consult data is showing me way too much timing ... high 30s mid 40s in full boost ... this sounds insane !

P

pulsarboby

no it should increase but that does sound a lot to me especially at a mere 1 bar of boost
swap that knock sensor and see what happens then

goshko

would you recommend going with a oem nissan one ? They are 200$ at the dealer and the non-nissan ones are like 50$ ... I dont want to cheap out but if that`s not the issue I would feel bad I spent 200$ for nothing !

goshko

well I downloaded nistune to see if my ecu accessed the knock maps and it did not enter the knock maps in a 20 minute run ... so this has to mean my knock sensor is not at fault right ?

Fusion Ed

No, I've seen cars do this but not appear to be in the knock map.

Sounds like it needs setting up and everything checking. Start with the base timing and go from there.

goshko

My base timing is set at 20 degrees at the moment ... I just ordered a new knock sensor off of ebay ... will be waiting for it and replace mine asap !

P

pulsarboby

glad it sorted the prob
as said by ed....does not always appear on knock map but is a major cause of power loss at wot when everything else appears to be ok.
weve had loads of cars in with same thing, swap the sensor and all is good again