big end gone?

rossdj1983

stem seals gone?

im on the lookout for my first pulsar:-D my mate is sellin he thinks the stem seals or turbo have gone, how do you tell which 1?, are parts to fix these mega bucks? and i heard pulsars gearboxs usally give up @300bhp is this true? many thanks

Last edited:

EVOBAD

if the big ends are gone u will hear it & oil presure will probly be low if this is so ul probly be better getting another engine ,butif u can fix it your best sticking some forge pitons ,uprated bolts,steel head gasket plus new oilpump etc,but if its just turbo just leave it idle then it will start smoking a blueish colour but it might be oil seals in head of car 2

rossdj1983

how much will it be to sort out the seals/ turbo? what sort of power can you get from these things before they start gettin piricy?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Depends how bad the turbo is. You could get a second hand standard one for under £200, rebuild the standard one or get a new one. So basically about £200 to whatever you want to spend.

Probably is the turbo as you don't hear of many stem seals going on our car.

rossdj1983

turbo trouble

think ive got a dodgy turbo, im planing to go for a reliable 300-350 bhp, which turbo is a good all round choice or shall i just recon mine?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Standard one will do that, but not last forever. Just get a T28 hybrid if that's all you want. Disco potato is also good choice, but I think that's an import from america.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Maybe about £500 upwards for a new one. Probably abit less to have your old one redone. I've never looked into it much to be honest.

rossdj1983

if thats the case what should i be lookin for on the turbo when it comes off? shaft play etc? soz if i sound thick jus never owned a turbo before

rossdj1983

ok ive done a bit of window shopping on the old turbo front, thing is is there is to many to choose from, was on ebay.com and saw some brand new goin for$350, are they crap? turbosystems want £650 for their stage 1

Cathode

i think you'll probably get what you pay for when it comes to car-parts in general. I wouldn't skimp on the turbo. Do it nice or do it twice ... or even thrice!

petelesta

i think you'll probably get what you pay for when it comes to car-parts in general. I wouldn't skimp on the turbo. Do it nice or do it twice ... or even thrice!
hence why my new turbo just cost me £1700
hahahaha bloody dear one that.