Best Leads

hmmm

Hi,

Which are the best leads to go for. Splitfire, Magnecor KV 85, MSD or Top Gun? Or are there others?

Also which is the best place to get them from?

I'm asking this as I am most likely going to get the Mallory Hyfire and Promaster coil, so I thought I might as well change the leads while I'm at it.

Thanks again.
:wink:

p.s If you think that Nissan ones are good enough for 400bhp, then assume I am running 400bhp + :wink:

hmmm

Dooie Pop Pop said:
NISSAN ORIGINAL!! :wink: :lol: good for over 400bhp ask Lou Rob
Lou Rob has gone through 3 sets in the past 2 and a half years. :shock:

Correct me if i'm wrong, but don't uprated leads come with a Lifetime Guarantee? :?

Would the Standard Leads break down as often when running around 350-400bhp? If this is the case then uprated leads have to be worth it ... don't they? :wink:

A

AJ4

The horsepower of the engine doesn't make any difference to the life of the leads, a spark is a spark, the leads don't know how powerful the engine is ;)

hmmm

So we can all expect to keep renewing the leads every year? :?

So the Nissan ones are good for over 400bhp but they break down very easily. The uprated ones are also good for over 400bhp but last a lot longer. Correct? :wink:

Thanks for you replies.

J

Jack Bauer

AJ4 is bang on ........ I spoke to a mate about ignitions and leads etc... and he said its impossible to rate them to a BHP figure its all to do with how much spark energy / Heat they can take.

(Also he started rambling on about resistance and something else but totally lost me so I just nodded and looked as though I knew what he was saying :oops: )

Thor

hi,

my car runs with 2.0 bar boost at 6300 - 6500 rpm very bad banging and poping. before and after it push very hard. a people told me that is the leads. is it possible???? my sparks are HKS S45i and they are all have different impedance.. is it ok too??

thx

Last edited:

paz

Go for magnecor - I've just fitted them to mine and am very happy.

There's a few interesting threads about on it, have a quick search for magnecor and IIRC that brings them up.

Paz

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Colditz-Motorsport said:
hi,

my car runs with 2.0 bar boost at 6300 - 6500 rpm very bad banging and poping. before and after it push very hard. a people told me that is the leads. is it possible???? my sparks are HKS S45i and they are all have different impedance.. is it ok too??

thx

posted about this in your other post...

Standard Leads are what you want to use....

You may want to look at other leads if you start using a stronger more powerful ignition system... You will need to check to see that the standard leads will cope with the engery traveling through and a few other things that i won't bore you with... I'm sticking with standard leads anyway...

Rishi

Simmo

I'm for the Magnecor KV85's but thats only because I'm shoving in a MSD Blaster SS coil to go with them. I had spark blow out during mapping hence im replacing most of the ignition system.

hmmm

I'll definately be going with Magnecors next time. They are slightly more expensive than the Nissan ones but I think Magnecor Leads come with a lifetime warrantee so you can't really go wrong.

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
hmmm said:
I'll definately be going with Magnecors next time. They are slightly more expensive than the Nissan ones but I think Magnecor Leads come with a lifetime warrantee so you can't really go wrong.

Well the leads could fail, badly missfire under high boost and high load, blow your engine, and leave you at the side of the road waiting for the AA with an imminent high rebuild cost... :lol:

Rishi

paz

RishiGTiR said:
Well the leads could fail, badly missfire under high boost and high load, blow your engine, and leave you at the side of the road waiting for the AA with an imminent high rebuild cost... :lol:

Rishi
But so could the Nissans :lol:

paz

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
RishiGTiR said:

Rishi
.......and then, whilst standing on the side of the motorway waiting for the AA/RAC you might get turned into a potatoe by a passing alien then struck by lightning and turned into a human crisp..........

your more likely to suffer engine failure for hundreds of other reasons than a lead breakdown, anyway if the Nissan leads are fine for a while (regardless of power) whose to say how long there going to last………..do you change them before they start disintegrating or wait for them to detonate your engine………….

If the Magnecor/Mallory leads are only a little more expensive and come with any sort of guarantee (which won’t necessarily be of any use but at least the manufacturer is confident enough to guarantee there product) I know what my choice would be………….

Last edited:

paz

stevepudney said:
........and then, whilst standing on the side of the motorway waiting for the AA/RAC you might get struck by lightning and turned into a human crisp..........
And then eaten by Rob :( :lol:

paz

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
hmmm said:
Which are the best leads to go for. Splitfire, Magnecor KV 85, MSD or Top Gun? Or are there others?

I'm asking this as I am most likely going to get the Mallory Hyfire and Promaster coil, so I thought I might as well change the leads while I'm at it.

p.s If you think that Nissan ones are good enough for 400bhp, then assume I am running 400bhp + :wink:
Though I've still not bottomed the science of this out in my own mind, I believe you should get the leads best matched to your system. For a standard ignition sytem, the standard leads are best.

from my own experience, a totally fresh standard sytem struggles above 400hp meaning you have to run tiny plug gaps. However, it struggles less with the standard leads than with the Magnecor uprated leads.

Uprated systems are not standard anymore. I thought Lou Rob uses a HKS amplifier on a standard system. If that's the case it might explain why he's been through so many standard leads.

If you are running very high boost (>1.5Bar) and if you are using "normal" plug gaps then you will need more energy to bridge the gap. More power will be transmitted down the cables so you will need bigger cables or they will overheat and fail.

What my own experience and theory teaches me is that the best system is a matched system. As most people have the standard Nissan ignition then the best match is standard leads. If you are buying the Mallory system then logic says to me the best match is the Mallory leads. Unfortunately I'd be surprised if mallory did the leads for our cars as its not a big V8. Next best, maybe the MSD leads as the Mallory and MSD systems look like they're made by the same Chinese supplier anyway ;-). Failing that, find out what the resistance and diameter of the mallory leads is and get an equivalent magnecor or OE

I've tried both my Magnecors and the OE leads on my system and both seem to work. (Equally as badly at the moment but that's maybe another point with matching ignition systems to ignition maps?) How well either will last and whether one or the other is better is another question.

the missing link for me in all this is the standard cap and rotor that I accept will become a "consumable" as it is still standard and not designed to transmit x5 the energy!!!

Jim