best air filter

dave_gtir

im going to buy a new air filter for the pulsar whats the best 1 around at moment and best place to buy it from?

johnny gtir

Been a few threads on this recent i am sure its finding the right mix between filtration and flow.Sure the outcome was bigest k+n you can get.(few mentioned blitz but then it changed)

johnsy

the least filtration you want blitz
the most filtration you want apexi
an in between jobbie that you have to oil you want a k&n

all have pro's and con's depending on who you speak to and what you read, Im sure billy 187 has a k&n and a 2 blitz jobbies for sale, quite cheap too

Last edited:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
the least filtration you want blitz
the most filtration you want apexi
an in between jobbie that you have to oil you want a k&n
The advantage of the K&N is the size. You get better filtration that Blitz, but because it's spread over a much greater surface area, you get the same kind of flow through it. - It's a simple function of surface area; that's why you get these double-cone designs.

johnsy

im well aware of filter size's and surface area's, simply put anything bigger than a blitz would not fit, with out having to relocate the battery which could turn into another £50+ on cabling and a decent battery box

Who's ever heard of a engine failing due to its poor filtration. There's loads of people out there with a blitz filter on and you never hear any complaints, besides you'd think if they were that bad the company would nt sell them

red reading

im well aware of filter size's and surface area's, simply put anything bigger than a blitz would not fit, with out having to relocate the battery which could turn into another £50+ on cabling and a decent battery box

Who's ever heard of a engine failing due to its poor filtration. There's loads of people out there with a blitz filter on and you never hear any complaints, besides you'd think if they were that bad the company would nt sell them
You obviosley have'nt looked at filters that hard, many turbo's and engines fail due to poor filtration ( if the owner has enough grey matter to understand why it has failed is another question) and company's will sell you anything they so wish to make MONEY! as that is what buisness is all about. apexi are rebranded k&n, both are cotton gauze type oil retention to filter out the nasties, if you look for a good k&n in there catalouge you will find one the same size as your blitz will flow enough.

As said before blitz has the same filtration quality as chiken wire.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I can get an M's K&N in the original spot without relocating anything.

Now before you get all shitty with me again. I know that's not the best for trackdays or thrashing the crap out of the car because the battery is in the way of the airflow. However, if you were so-inclined there is still room to put some cold air ducting to the filter.

I've seen engines fail due to poor filtration; I think the term is "dusted" and on a car like this it usually means the compressor wheel is shot and possibly the pistons too.

skiddusmarkus

In the past I took a feed off the n/s brake duct and some flexi hose up the that little hole thats blanked off under the oe airbox, just out of shot in your picture.

I've had a look through the k&n catalogue and these are a decent size for a z32maf:

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=RD-1300

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=RU-9004

I might get one and cut the flange off my z32 maf with a grinder so it just slots inside rather than fannying about getting an adapter made and wasting space using it.The 2nd one is 1/16" too big but I'm sure the jubilee clip would take up that slack.

Last edited:

red reading

as a tip you can spin the battery tray 90 degrees and move it back and put a bracket under it for support, then relocate te filter behind the headlight too

johnsy

as a tip you can spin the battery tray 90 degrees and move it back and put a bracket under it for support, then relocate te filter behind the headlight too
#

Yup done that!, its the big fookin K&N you've got that would nt fit in my bay with out having to relocate the battery,

Isn't there a down side to having to oil an air filter too though? lining of the maf with oil or summit

gtirx2

As mentioned k&n is proberly the way to go, or even green or jr filter as they are all basicly the same oiled cotten gauze type fillters i think.

I will proberly be changing to k&n at some point as i am running a blitz sus atm,you only have to look through the blitz to tell it aint a good filter.
Also when you remove the filter the insides of the maf is always dusty,and like reading mentioned if the insides of you intercooler pipes are oily where you are running the stock breather setup or something, this dust will soon turn into like a grinding paste and go through the engine.

I think blitz used to sell a large cotton gauze lm series filter though, if you dont fancy the mesh.

Apexi filters are good filters, which i am pretty sure run dry and un oiled, which is why they are liked as they are good for the maf,they always seem a bit small to me though.

Also as mentioned above if you move the fuse box you can get a 3.5inch (4inch is possible but very very tight) cold air feed through the hole down to the bumper to feed the filter some cold air.

red reading

#

Yup done that!, its the big fookin K&N you've got that would nt fit in my bay with out having to relocate the battery,

Isn't there a down side to having to oil an air filter too though? lining of the maf with oil or summit
I run a blow thru maf thats in the pipe work just before the plenum now but before on my old turbo i used the same filter on draw thru maf, and yes oil based filters have been known now and again to put a film on the maf element, you just lean it off with carb cleaner every now and again (once in 2 years for me)

stumo

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

you should be on the stage.

I'll quote you something you posted earlier....

As far as im aware you've never driven your car on track or know how to change a brake hose so your opinion to me means 'shit' me
and in my opinion you don't know jack shit about what dirt will do to an engine, so, you're opinions mean 'shit' to me.