Bent sump? *now sorted, with pics*

CruiseGTi-R

My oil sump looks a little dented (drivers side little sump). I say ‘looks’ as I’ve nothing to compare it to. I assume the sump base is supposed to be flat (apart from the griddling). Could this be causing my strange low oil pressure (posted elsewhere)?

Is the oil pick up tight against the sump base?

LOU ROB

This happened to me :( The pick up pipe was tight against the sump so it wouldn't pick up the oil properly. A few days later my oil pressure was shit and the main bearings worn and a knocking came from the bottom end, then it was rebuild time :cry:

CruiseGTi-R

Sh*t.

What did your oil pressure gauge do during this time?

Mine just shows zero or sometimes moves to 2 bar at idle, with no more than 2bar when moving regardless of revs.

LOU ROB

CruiseGTi-R said:
Sh*t.

What did your oil pressure gauge do during this time?

Mine just shows zero or sometimes moves to 2 bar at idle, with no more than 2bar when moving regardless of revs.
The same, and no matter how high I revved it, the pressure would go no higher than 2 Bar.

How long has it been like this for ?

CruiseGTi-R

Since it arrived in the UK, about 5 weeks ago, but not driven much, god knows how long before then. Also, dash warning bulb had been taken out (I assume by owner/dealer in Japan). Dealer here has been dead good about it all though, offering to pay for Nissan to take a look.

Engine sounds spot on though.

Nissan have it today.

How long was your like that? Did it also sit at zero on idle?

At least I have had 2bar during driving, should be enough to prevent failure? Its only on idle its been falling to zero or during gear change when revs fall.

whip the sump cover off and have a look me thinks.....

LOU ROB

Mine had bent badly right under where the pick up pipe is located. It was so badly bent that it had damaged the pick up pipe as well :shock:
Maybe you could just replace the sump and then test the oil pressure using a mechanical gauge incase your in car gauge or pressure sender is faulty.

CruiseGTi-R

If I can't hammer out the old one I'll be taking you up on that.

Will be up on a ramp this Saturday to sort out.

I just drop the oil sump and then what? What am i to look out for?

Ideally I need someone to 'hear' the engine too, tell me whether they think the bottom end has truely gone. Anyone?

antgtir

CruiseGTi-R said:
If I can't hammer out the old one I'll be taking you up on that.

Will be up on a ramp this Saturday to sort out.

I just drop the oil sump and then what? What am i to look out for?

Ideally I need someone to 'hear' the engine too, tell me whether they think the bottom end has truely gone. Anyone?
i wouldn't even bother hitting it out, just get Andy's second hand one, much safer :wink:

Ant.

J

justin666

Dooie Pop Pop said:
where is the relief valve posistioned?
I was gonna mention the relief valve as if memory serves correct these have been responsible for some dodgy oil pressures recently.. Think you can only get to it with the upper part of the sump removed (correct me if im talkin poo :oops: )

J..

CruiseGTi-R

The sump was bent right up against the oil pick up. It was so tight against it that you could see the impression of the oil pick up against the pan:

Eeerm, one method of removing the offending sump dents:

As soon as we put it all back together the oil pressure was back to normal.

Unfortunately the bottom end is a little rattly already, it could of been like that for months in Japan, so only a matter of time....

Why the last owner (in Japan) would leave it like this is beyond me.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
where is the relief valve posistioned?
In that picture you can just see the large bolt top of the oil pressure relief valve right inside the bottom left of the sump.

I think you can only get it out with the Ali tray part of the sump off though.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
stevepudney said:
I think you can only get it out with the Ali tray part of the sump off though.
I couldn't and gave up.

You might be able to if you have a special tool, but I'm not sure what, possibly a box spanner, but I don't think even then as there was a chunk of oil pump casting overhanging the nut and getting in my way :evil:

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
I can't remember if I got mine out whilst the engine was in one peice or when I took the oil pump off. If your going o play with these things yourself though it's worth getting some decent tools.