Battery To Boot Relocation

Scotty

I know this has been covered before and sorry for bringing it up again:roll: but im thinking of doing the job above and was wondering if anyone sold a batt to boot kit? if so or were able to supply everything needed how much? Being lazy!:yawn:

Also my R does not have a tool kit box in the boot does anyone have one for sale? bobby?

Im also going to locate the washer bottle in boot to but that easy enough.

Thanks guys:thumbsup:

snoon

I have just put my battery in the boot.

Got battery box from rally design and all the wiring bits from vehicle wiring products.

Look for the post by Steve Pudney, it has all the info and pictures!

CanadianR

steve, on your use of a 300 amp fuse, I assume that as long as the fuse is high enough for starter and regular vehicle power consumption use, it will be good.

The battery is capable of a certain current in amps? As long as your fuse is rated lower than those amps, it will blow before shorting anything out, correct?

Braveheart

The fuse is fitted for protection in the event of a dead short between the main +ve and -ve feed and will hopefully blow before your battery does or the car goes up in flames. 300A is almost twice that of the cranking current so you may get away with a smaller rated fuse. Other wiring will be affected if it were to become shorted and melt without the fuse blowing.
You may get away with fitting a lower rated fuse, 200A but I would keep a spare just in case...;-)

CanadianR

or fitting two lines, one fused with a higher amp fuse for the starter power, and a lower fuse for the rest of the car's electronics?

after that, it's just like the battery is in the engine bay, normal fuses would take over?

Fusion Ed

I did some testing with large style in car breakers (the resettable ones) I found that you could have a battery with enough current to start the car but not enough current to trip the breaker in the case of a short. I tested this by shorting the fuse directly across the battery... Not really recommended unless you know what your doing. I concluded that in this case with this type of fuse it was unlikely to offer any protection at all!!