Battery relocation question... help!!

J

Jim_1979

Hey folks,

Ok I have a FMIC and the battery and washer bottle have been moved to the boot.

The battery is totally dead and I had to jump start the car this morning!! ARGH!

I got a new battery for a sunny (thot it would be the same anyway) took it to the back of the car and low and behold the battery in the car was very small!

The larger battery obv woulddn't fit as the tray the current one sat on wouldn't allow it!

I took the battery instore and got one the same size. It's actually a small battery from a suzuki!! Only rated at 280amps cold crank. That's why the car's struggled to start in the past.

I got a new one ( the same size anyway) and fitted it. It starts fine etc, but you can tell it would like the extra starting power!!

Has anyone got a picture of the standard battery so I can see what size it is? Or is the standard one that small?

ALso... how would I go about fitting a larger one as I would obviously need a larger tray for it etc?!?

ARGH!! Help please!!

stumo

Check all the connections, a little resistance through a poor connection will do wonders for not helping your starter work properly.

J

Jim_1979

might sound stupid.... but check all the connections how/where?

The car had the battery relocated when I got it. Obviously I would prefer to somehow fit a larger battery as I am currently running an amp etc.

stumo

on the battery(both connections), where the earth cable connects to the body at the rear of the car, the connections on the cable from the block to the body...

lakeview

if the battery isnt powerful enough i wont start anyway i think the battery i got is about 320 amps

SickBoy

Did i not also read that the cable that runs from front to back has to be a certain thickness (resistance or lack of )

Lee

geetee

The standard Pulsar battery is tiny - same as the Micra K10. I believe the UK Sunny R's had a bigger battery.

Mine is sluggish during the winter but seems fine in summer.

Nothing stopping you getting a larger tray and battery :)

maz

SickBoy said:
Did i not also read that the cable that runs from front to back has to be a certain thickness (resistance or lack of )

Lee
about 4gauge cable i think bud

c20ona

I just stuck a huge diesel battery in my motor. It's heavy as fook but starts one turn of the starter, even after weeks / months of lying about (no joke !). :)

Kenny

J

Jim_1979

geetee said:
The standard Pulsar battery is tiny - same as the Micra K10. I believe the UK Sunny R's had a bigger battery.

Mine is sluggish during the winter but seems fine in summer.

Nothing stopping you getting a larger tray and battery :)

Yeah, that's my plan tbh.

Where would I get a larger battery tray from tho??

bopper

maz just earth the old negative in the engine bay and earth the battery in the boot i used a battery out of a land rover and got a tray from a scrap yard also wuth the cable i think i used 4 gauge if that helps

J

Jim_1979

Cheears ... as to where the eath is etc, etc... no idea. The battery was already in the boot when I received the car mate.