Battery or alternator????

Studlife

Finally got me R back on the streets, ran perfect for a few days then problems started, :evil: Car would drive for a bit then would start to lose power, only boost to .3 bar, then the engine would struggle and then die right out, would start with a boost from another vehicle, and only run for a minute or so, i bench tested the battery and it was bad(only 2 months old), so i installed a new spiral cell batt in it the new batt tested at 12.8V:) the car ran fine for the night then while parked at a fueling station the R started to misfire sputter and struggle then it died right out, :sad: yet it still had lights the stero had power and my alarm would still work just wouldn't turn over at all, i checked the ground for the alternator it appears to be fine (had similar problem on a american car) now i'm not sure what the problem is could it be just another bad battery or is the alternator not charging the battery:? Thanks in advance

youngsyp

You need to check the voltage at the battery with the engine running although, that might be a problem with the car in it's current state ?!
The voltage reading should be something around the 13.8v to 14.4v mark ! From the symptoms you describe though, it does sound like the alternator to me !

All those devices would still run with the battery in a state where it can't turn the engine over !

If the alternator does turn out to be fine, check all the rest of the major power and earth connections, to make sure they're all in good shape.