battery in boot.

davey red.r

bought a new battery yesterday,
as the one i have on is goosed.
anyway went to put it on tonight,but the battery that is on is smaller than the standard size,
due to the frontmount pipework that runs within an inch of the battery:doh:
and a smaller tray has been fitted:x and the terminals have been made smaller, to fit this smaller battery:sad: so im now left with a brand new battery that i cant fit asap,
so this gets me on to the point of considering putting it in the boot and getting the oe size terminals put on,
this would also clear up room for a shorter air filter run,
is there much work in putting them in the boot and can you buy a kit with everything thats needed?

cheers

davey;-)

olliecast

yeah did it myself mate. The biggest bit was borrowing my mates industrial wire crimps (about 2 foot long!) to get a nice snug connection.

iirc i think other people have soldered them though.

I removed my tool tray then mounted it to the boot floor. Just have to cut a section out the tool tray if you want to put it back in.

ollie

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
davey red.r said:
bought a new battery yesterday,
as the one i have on is goosed.
anyway went to put it on tonight,but the battery that is on is smaller than the standard size,
due to the frontmount pipework that runs within an inch of the battery:doh:
and a smaller tray has been fitted:x and the terminals have been made smaller, to fit this smaller battery:sad: so im now left with a brand new battery that i cant fit asap,
so this gets me on to the point of considering putting it in the boot and getting the oe size terminals put on,
this would also clear up room for a shorter air filter run,
is there much work in putting them in the boot and can you buy a kit with everything thats needed?

cheers

davey;-)
thats a standard Jap battery you have in the car there davey, its the same as a micra battery and its the battery all import cars start off with.
A bigger battery in the boot is definitely the way to go, just get the bits I suggest in the thread Ollie pointed you to and fit it all properly MAKING SURE YOU SOLDER ALL THE JOINTS as this just makes the joints properly weather proof, so they won't fail in years to come. Then just make sure you secure the new battery in the boot, that way it won't come and join you in the front should you have to stop quickly or you hit something.

warringtonjack

Davey, get a battery box from a sailing shop, pretty much exactly the same kit, but soooo much cheaper than buying from a car place. Think I paid a tenner for mine. :thumbsup: